Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I am in the process of upgrading my ride. As a result, I pulled my Alpine ILX-107 out and put the stock radio back in my MX-5. Now, until Thursday (when my new ride is available for pick up), I am stuck with a stock Mazda radio... no functional AUX in, and NO CarPlay... I am about to go freaking mad dealing with no navigation, no telephone integration and no music app of my choosing...

Thursday can't get here fast enough! I feel like a knuckle-dragging neanderthal.

IMG_0713.jpeg IMG_2081.jpeg

Last edited:

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
Wow what a difference...I’ve never really looked into car radios in a very long time....can I ask how much that alpine set up is?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Wow what a difference...I’ve never really looked into car radios in a very long time....can I ask how much that alpine set up is?

It was around $550 installed... which included a new bezel and wiring harness and a module to adapt the steering wheel controls to work with an after-market head unit. IMO, money well spent for a wireless CarPlay unit.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
My daughter won’t even date someone who doesn’t have CarPlay.

She may want to increase her standards. CarPlay is standard in some of the cheapest vehicles on the road.

I just bought a used 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 2 wheel drive, 6 cylinder, vinyl floor, cheap cloth seats, roll up windows (aka BASE model). It was a business expense for the shop kids to deliver material to job sites and junk to the scrap yard.

Even that thing, the worst pick up Chevrolet manufacturers has a CarPlay HU.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
She may want to increase her standards. CarPlay is standard in some of the cheapest vehicles on the road.

I just bought a used 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 2 wheel drive, 6 cylinder, vinyl floor, cheap cloth seats, roll up windows (aka BASE model). It was a business expense for the shop kids to deliver material to job sites and junk to the scrap yard.

Even that thing, the worst pick up Chevrolet manufacturers has a CarPlay HU.

It's not about the car, it's about the phone. She won't date Android types. Says they don't have any money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.