Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hpeezy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
vancouver, bc
i recently installed 10.3 alongside OS9 on my sister's G4. it was having semi-frequent crashes so i thought i'd reinstall OSX, formatting the HD and therefore getting rid of OS9 for a "cleaner" install..

so i installed 10.3, ran the software update for 10.3.7, and then it crashed again in the middle of the update so i had to reboot. upon rebooting, it kept stalling at "Initializing (*or something) Login Window"... and NOW whenever i try to Erase and Install, the computer consistently crashes (telling me to reboot or power off) at around 3 min left of the install.. around the time it says "Installing Base Subsystem 2... 65%"

can anyone please offer any help?? i honestly have no idea what's wrong with it or how to fix it... i've run Disk Utility several times.. erasing both the volume and the HD.. i even "reset to zeros" and still the same result.. i'm completely baffled that i could still be having any kind of problems installing the OS after completely erasing and zeroing the HD..

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
SOunds like HDD or RAM to me...got any mates you can borrow a known good 128MB DIMM from that you could pop in there just to prove RAM one way or the other, same for the HDD?

hpeezy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
vancouver, bc
edesignuk said:
SOunds like HDD or RAM to me...got any mates you can borrow a known good 128MB DIMM from that you could pop in there just to prove RAM one way or the other, same for the HDD?

hey edesignuk, thank u so much for ur reply!

ya, do u think it's a RAM issue? i thought it might have to be cuz there's not much else it could be, but i didn't think it'd act the way it is... i have a dual 1.8 G5, but i dunno if i could use that RAM cuz it's PC3200, 400 MHZ.. it wouldn't work in the G4, right?

and what's "HDD"?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
hpeezy said:
hey edesignuk, thank u so much for ur reply!

ya, do u think it's a RAM issue? i thought it might have to be cuz there's not much else it could be, but i didn't think it'd act the way it is... i have a dual 1.8 G5, but i dunno if i could use that RAM cuz it's PC3200, 400 MHZ.. it wouldn't work in the G4, right?

and what's "HDD"?
HDD = Hard disk drive ;)

A 400MHz G4 uses either SD100 or SD133 memory IIRC, so no, the DDR3200 wouldn't work (it wouldn't even fit!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.