Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djtet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2003
Charleston, SC
I recently was looking to purchase speakers for my Powermac DP G4 1.25. I have my setup in a normal size room which is a bedroom/office. I did not want 4.1 or 5.1, just a nice 2.1 speaker setup with good sound. I was considering buying a pair of refurbished soundsticks ($95 @ smalldog.com), but had $170 of gift cards @ bestbuy. So I was going to get a pair of jbl creature. The creatures were out of stock at bestbuy, so I started looking at other options. They had some speaker systems set up and I immediately fell for the Altec Lansing - Speaker System (3-Piece) VS4121. They sounded better than most of the 4.1 setups in the store. The sound is crisp, clear, and loud (if you want it to be). Perfect for what I was looking for. I'm glad that I didn't get any of the harman speakers. I've only had my new speakers for less than a week, but so far, so good!
Hope this helps for those looking for new speakers!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I picked up an Altec speaker set a few months ago, ATP3 2.1 to be specific. I've been very impressed with the sound from these small things, even at higher volumes. Altec Lansing has always produced quality products, IMO. I've been damned curious to jump on one of the 5 speaker sets, but don't feel I should just yet. ;)

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I bought the Altec Lansing 221 2.1 speakers for $50 on the Apple Store - They're great - whenever I watch Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.... Well, let's just say, the neighbors complain it's so beautifully loud. :D:D:D

The more I'm exposed to AL products, the more I like them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.