Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I'm cleaning up my software subscriptions and one of the first to go was TextExpander. I've replaced it with aText today but noticed that the application was last updated in 2015. This makes me a bit concerned with a major macOS update coming this year, including the new filesystem.

Does anyone know if aText is still actively maintained.
Is there another non-subscription application for text snippets, particularly dynamics text ( such as dates ) and paragraphs, besides aText?

If aText gets permanently broken by the next major OS update, I might have to revert to Apple's text snippets along with storing text templates in another app such as Evernote.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
The file system likely won't break the app, but graphics changes could or other changes could. With an app last updated that long ago, I doubt it is still being developed so if it's broken with High Sierra then you would have to contact the Developer.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I gotta say that while I love the app and use it with Sierra every day, it feels like it has been abandoned by the Developer. The only "issue" I have with it under Sierra is that the icon in the menubar won't change to white when you turn on the Dark Menubar option in macOS System Prefs.

If I was betting, I wouldn't put money on it ever being updated, but who knows...

Alternatives:
TypeIt4Me – $20
Typinator - $27 (current EU conversion)

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Is there another non-subscription application for text snippets, particularly dynamics text ( such as dates ) and paragraphs, besides aText?

I jumped ship on TextExpander for Typinator (mentioned above) when TE first started in with the subscriptions and I haven't looked back. I can highly recommend it.

Reactions: jagooch

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I jumped ship on TextExpander for Typinator (mentioned above) when TE first started in with the subscriptions and I haven't looked back. I can highly recommend it.
I'll check that out. For now I have switched back to TextExpander because I qualified for the discounted $20/year subscription. It's not as good $0/year , so I'll still look at Typinator.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Is there another non-subscription application for text snippets, particularly dynamics text ( such as dates ) and paragraphs, besides aText?.

I've switched from TextExpander to Keyboard Maestro. I had this app already but hadn't thought of using it for text expansion. Works well for me so far.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
⌘ what?
I've switched from TextExpander to Keyboard Maestro. I had this app already but hadn't thought of using it for text expansion. Works well for me so far.
I hadn't even considered that. Alfred also offers text expansion... and I'm sure other similar apps do as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.