Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

69Rixter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
Hey All:

Ok, I've had 2 iPhones now and am sick of apple and it's heavy handed, jack-booted approach. I think this 8+ phone is a damn good phone, just don't care for the O.S. (12.3.2) and all it's restrictions and privacy breaches.. I don't like being "tethered"(forced) to iTunes and the "Apple" store. So, please tell me there are alternative O.S's that I can install on this phone (please....please). Right now, my ex-c*#@ has reprogrammed enough (my fault for leaving it where the psychopath could get her claws on it) that I can't do anything to re-claim it....thanx to all of Apple's "hijacking" techniques. Look... I'm all for "security", but this is ridiculous!!! So, now, for me, I need an alternative O.S. if possible. Can anyone help out? As of now, I'm installing 12.1.1 to see if I can jailbreak it and, hopefully, get back some use.

Thanx:

o_ORick

Last edited:

69Rixter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
Well, Apple isn't signing 12.1.1, so you're not going to have any luck installing it.
[doublepost=1562802131][/doublepost]RE: chrfr

Yup, just tried it and it failed. See another f-n Apple a**h^%# trick. why won't they let you downgrade?(or back grade an O.S.) They're a bunch of communists!!!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yes, they disallow downgrade so everybody can use their iOS devices with latest firmware. Even so, companies like Cellibrite can still gain access to all your data nonetheless, which worries people. Imagine if downgrade is an option.
Call them communists or not, their move against downgrade definitely has ground to support. You can’t expect an authoritarian company allow such freedom of installing older version of iOS.

As for the alternative OS, no. But you don’t need to use iTunes to use your iPhone. iOS has been untethered from iTunes since iOS 4 or 5, and except App Store, you can easily find ways to live without even touching iTunes.

Reactions: jhall8

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
OK.I'll ask the obvious. Why not go to Android? The hardware of iPhones and others is not massively different; it's the OS that defines the phone.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Yes, they disallow downgrade so everybody can use their iOS devices with latest firmware. Even so, companies like Cellibrite can still gain access to all your data nonetheless, which worries people. Imagine if downgrade is an option.
Call them communists or not, their move against downgrade definitely has ground to support. You can’t expect an authoritarian company allow such freedom of installing older version of iOS.

As for the alternative OS, no. But you don’t need to use iTunes to use your iPhone. iOS has been untethered from iTunes since iOS 4 or 5, and except App Store, you can easily find ways to live without even touching iTunes.

I’m surprised to know that someone is still tethered to iTunes

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Given the issue, and what's written and the ranting, its time to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.