Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Just wondering what's out there besides the GSIII?

The girlfriend has US Cellular and was hoping that they would hop on the iPhone wagon but it doesn't seem they are. She is in dire need of a smartphone as she is still rocking a fake crackberry without even able to do data.

Looking for some suggestions from previous android users as I have never used droid, I've been iPhone since the 3GS

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Just wondering what's out there besides the GSIII?

The girlfriend has US Cellular and was hoping that they would hop on the iPhone wagon but it doesn't seem they are. She is in dire need of a smartphone as she is still rocking a fake crackberry without even able to do data.

Looking for some suggestions from previous android users as I have never used droid, I've been iPhone since the 3GS

HTC One X > Samsung Galaxy S3

and the HTC One X+ should be out soon as well which will be better than both.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just took a look at US Cellular's offerings--if she doesn't want a Galaxy SIII, I'd preorder the upcoming Galaxy Note II. I'm assuming she'll carry it in a handbag as many women do so pocketability isn't an issue. It's big but top end as far as hardware and features go and comes with the latest version of Android. Everything else they offer either midrange in features/quality or just simply outdated.

Just my $0.02.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Just took a look at US Cellular's offerings--if she doesn't want a Galaxy SIII, I'd preorder the upcoming Galaxy Note II. I'm assuming she'll carry it in a handbag as many women do so pocketability isn't an issue. It's big but top end as far as hardware and features go and comes with the latest version of Android. Everything else they offer either midrange in features/quality or just simply outdated.

Just my $0.02.

well my GF is pretty clumsy/forgetful and she isn't like most girls who carry a purse or bag.

She loses her phone A LOT. So something like find my iPhone is needed. And she often will carry her phone without a bag and sometimes never has pockets, or just her jean pockets, so im thinking the smaller the better. Thats why I was thinking the S3 might be too much of a beast for her.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
well my GF is pretty clumsy/forgetful and she isn't like most girls who carry a purse or bag.

She loses her phone A LOT. So something like find my iPhone is needed. And she often will carry her phone without a bag and sometimes never has pockets, or just her jean pockets, so im thinking the smaller the better. Thats why I was thinking the S3 might be too much of a beast for her.

Apparently they may release a GS3 mini very soon.....

Or have a look at the HTC One S or HTC Desire X

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I'm hoping a landscape keyboard slider version of the SGS3 or HTC1X becomes available in Canada. I am seriously considering ditching my SGS3 for a decent keyboard slider. I know T-Mobile has one and am considering getting one and unlocking it. I thought I would be able to get used to a touch screen, but after 2 and a half months, I'm starting to get tired of making so many mistakes typing.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm hoping a landscape keyboard slider version of the SGS3 or HTC1X becomes available in Canada. I am seriously considering ditching my SGS3 for a decent keyboard slider. I know T-Mobile has one and am considering getting one and unlocking it. I thought I would be able to get used to a touch screen, but after 2 and a half months, I'm starting to get tired of making so many mistakes typing.

Good luck with that. There are almost no Android phones being released with a physical keyboard.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Good luck with that. There are almost no Android phones being released with a physical keyboard.

Tell me about it. When I had to get a new phone to replace my HTC Desire Z in July, the latest one I could get was the Motorola XT860. That phone came out a year earlier. It was either a year old phone with a keyboard or the SGS3 or HTC1S (1X not available on Bell). I went for the SGS3 only because the 1S had only 16GB of storage with no SD card slot and I wasn't going to burn my upgrade on a phone that was only 8 months newer than my last one.

I had hopes a keyboard phone would be available when there were rumours of a keyboard slider version of the SGS3 surfaced earlier this year. It seemed it was limited only to T-Mobile in the US. I am hoping that Bell will offer something similar soon.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The meaning of ">" must've changed :p

benchmark wise at the moment the one X is definitely > SGS3

(New JB & Sense 4+ update gives one X 6500 on Quadrant. Which is greater than the new Note 2 even)

However sales wise and popularity wise the one X is < SGS3

:)

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I was talking about things that matter rather than benchmarks :p

And remember, the S3 has a billion more accessories to choose from. One thing I hated about the One X was that the NA version was just that much different that some of the accessories fit.

As for alternative phones, S3 is the best out there right now. The One X+ is about the newest thing out there right now, but i don't know if it's coming to US Cellular since it's CDMA and the One series have always stayed on GSM carriers. I'd say hang tight for the Nexus announcement sooner or later, that will give you the best experience on Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.