Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sophiedee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
Hey. I have an old MacBook from 2008 (A1181) and I can't get my head around the options for replacing my failed 60w Magsafe power adapter. Usually I would just look to replace like for like but I get the feeling there are alternatives?

Due to the age of my current adapter (A1184), I have concerns about buying a used one off eBay which may be at risk of imminent failure.

What is the deal with the two styles of connectors, T-shape and L-shape? Are they interchangeable?

I have seen a USB-C to MagSafe 1 (L-shape) converter but I'm not sure what brick I would need along with a suitable cable.
Also not sure how reliable the actual converters are?

My current adapter is 60w, am I restricted to 60w adapters or can I use a lesser/greater adapter?

Here is a photo of the connector on my current MagSafe:

I look forward to your answers, many thanks 😊

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hey. I have an old MacBook from 2008 (A1181) and I can't get my head around the options for replacing my failed 60w Magsafe power adapter. Usually I would just look to replace like for like but I get the feeling there are alternatives?

Due to the age of my current adapter (A1184), I have concerns about buying a used one off eBay which may be at risk of imminent failure.

What is the deal with the two styles of connectors, T-shape and L-shape? Are they interchangeable?

I have seen a USB-C to MagSafe 1 (L-shape) converter but I'm not sure what brick I would need along with a suitable cable.
Also not sure how reliable the actual converters are?

My current adapter is 60w, am I restricted to 60w adapters or can I use a lesser/greater adapter?

Here is a photo of the connector on my current MagSafe:

I look forward to your answers, many thanks 😊
You can use higher wattage adapters with no issue. I'm more concerned about getting counterfeit adapters from eBay and third parties than I am getting a used one, so I'd only buy from Apple, even at the high price.

sophiedee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
A brand new one from Apple costs significantly more than the value of my machine. Buying an alternative and possibly universal wall charger would be more economical but I just don't know if it's a functional option.

Can anyone advise if a setup like this would work? This is 65w but you can also buy a 100w version Ugreen or Anker brand.

B3ZHNe7.png

2P50ZRO.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.