Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Does Roku or any Blu-Ray player with streaming apps have either full picture fast forward (in the same fashion as Directv's DVR) or a larger thumbnail fast forward preview box, or a series of boxes beneath the timeline bar?

Chromecast, Nvidia Shield, any streaming movie device, does anyone do fast forward in a more user friendly way?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Imo it's not the device, but the app.
I have a Xiaomi Mi box AndroidTV. Streaming apps like Netflix do have small thumbnails when fast forwarding. But again, I think it's an app thing, not the device.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Imo it's not the device, but the app.
I have a Xiaomi Mi box AndroidTV. Streaming apps like Netflix do have small thumbnails when fast forwarding. But again, I think it's an app thing, not the device.

Yes but the app functions differently by device, or the device is doing something differently, for example the Netflix app thumbnail on my blu-ray player is not the same as the one on the Apple TV.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yes but the app functions differently by device, or the device is doing something differently, for example the Netflix app thumbnail on my blu-ray player is not the same as the one on the Apple TV.

If this is what you're looking for, then get the Chromecast w/Google TV. Works well using the directional pad on the remote.

IMG_0026.jpeg Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 5.55.50 PM.png

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yes that definitely is a step up, thanks for taking the screenshot, if you have the time, can you check HBO Max, if you have that app, but thanks again.

It's a little different, but also has a thumbnail while fast forwarding or rewinding.

IMG_0032.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.