Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
When I am using a US keyboard layout, I find the Cmd+` shortcut very useful for switching between windows in the current application. Unfortunately, I also use a keyboard layout that doesn't have a backtick, which means that this shortcut doesn't work. Is there a way to make it work? It seems to be impossible in BetterTouchTool because command key shortcuts are always tied to the actual keys rather than to the characters assigned to the keys.

Ctrl+down, to show all windows of the current application in Mission Control, is the best alternative I can find, but it is not the same.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Have you tried customizing the Keyboard preference Shortcut for command+' (move focus to next window) to something that will work for both keyboard layouts?

ricecrispies

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
Have you tried customizing the Keyboard preference Shortcut for command+' (move focus to next window) to something that will work for both keyboard layouts?
Thank you. I'd looked through those preferences, but I didn't know what the command was actually called, which is why I couldn't see it there. Now I've changed it to Ctrl+Cmd+N, which works nicely.

EDIT: It turns out that Ctrl+Cmd+N conflicts with a command in Finder which puts a file in the current folder into a new folder that is a sub-folder of the current folder. However, Ctrl+Cmd+Option+N seems to be OK.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.