Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2020
Mobile operating systems provide the backbone for nearly all smartphones and tablets found in the market today. The majority of the current mobile software solutions are provided by either Apple’s iOS platform or Google’s Android operating system. While both iOS and Android have been quite successful, there is definitely a possibility for a new mobile operating system to be introduced and find success in the market.

Creating a revolutionary and innovative mobile operating system will undoubtedly require significant resources, research, and development. A new operating system must include innovative features that set it apart from both iOS and Android and appeal to a variety of customer demographics. New features such as voice-command technology, privacy protection, or customizable branding could be potential focuses for the new system. Once developed, the new operating system must be packaged properly and marketed aggressively to draw the attention of potential customers.

The prospects for the new operating system are promising. While iOS and Android are well-established, creating a new system with the right features and promotion tactics could potentially shake up the market. For example, creating a mobile operating system with a streamlined user interface, increased privacy protection, or advanced security features could draw customers away from iOS and Android. Additionally, creating a unified mobile operating system across multiple device types such as smartphones, tablets, and computers could offer customers a unique experience and streamline their digital activities.

Overall, the possibility and prospects for a new mobile operating system to replace iOS and Android in the market are quite promising. With the right resources and innovation, the new system could shake up the market and give customers a truly unique experience.

What do you think?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
If Microsoft with all their money couldn't do it then I think most likely there is not going to be any replacement operating systems for mobile phones any time soon.

It is not just having a good operating system but having good apps and developers to write them. Then you have ecosystem to consider.

A new OS would have to compete with Apple Ecosystem and Samsung/Google ecosystem as well.

There are alternatives already like Pine OS, Linux distros. Firefox tried to write a mobile OS too.

If established players who already have viable operating systems and in some cases near limitless funding how would anyone create a new OS with a user base so entrenched?

I really hope Microsoft tries to enter the market again but it doesn't seem like there is any impetus for them to do so.

It would be nice to see a BSD distro for mobile as it would be ultra secure and can have a proprietary license that OEM's would want. But it would be a monumental task with a ton of forces against you.

I think the reason no one has responded to you is that your idea is dead from the get go. Cell phone market is too mature. No one is going to want to take the risk to try to develop a new OS with so much working against them.

It would really be nice to have another OS in the mix to push innovation but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
The smartphone market is now where the computer market is. On that front we have Windows (Most popular), MacOS (big niche) and Linux (Hobbyist and Open Source) as the main 3 OSes and maybe a few little ones I have forgotten.

Where smartphones differ is that Android, the dominant player, is also open source like Linux rather than being a licenced model like Windows. This means its entirely possible to build a fork yourself that is focussed around privacy or whatever but maintains APK app compatibility.

Apr 12, 2023
If Microsoft with all their money couldn't do it then I think most likely there is not going to be any replacement operating systems for mobile phones any time soon.

It is not just having a good operating system but having good apps and developers to write them. Then you have ecosystem to consider.

A new OS would have to compete with Apple Ecosystem and Samsung/Google ecosystem as well.

There are alternatives already like Pine OS, Linux distros. Firefox tried to write a mobile OS too.

If established players who already have viable operating systems and in some cases near limitless funding how would anyone create a new OS with a user base so entrenched?

I really hope Microsoft tries to enter the market again but it doesn't seem like there is any impetus for them to do so.

It would be nice to see a BSD distro for mobile as it would be ultra secure and can have a proprietary license that OEM's would want. But it would be a monumental task with a ton of forces against you.

I think the reason no one has responded to you is that your idea is dead from the get go. Cell phone market is too mature. No one is going to want to take the risk to try to develop a new OS with so much working against them.

It would really be nice to have another OS in the mix to push innovation but I don't see it happening any time soon.
Microsoft is run by a bean counter who has no idea regarding other things other than Cloud income services. The purchase of business facebook (linkedin) is proof of this. Microsoft could have easily made windows 10 mobile a viable platform. I could have replaced blackberry as business platform of choice, and creative mobile OS. However, the near sightedness of the leadership destroyed it.

I sold ALL my Microsoft based systems and moved to apple after 10 mobile was shuttered because I saw the potential there with the 1020 / windows 10 mobile OS, but they just SHATCANNED it as if it was nothing.

I am back using all Microsoft services again as I cannot / could not deal with Apple's lockdown ways and failure to provide me with what I paid alot of money for (aperture).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.