Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verm

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
HKG
It's still Intel, but it uses around the same amount of memory as Music.app. I have used it since 2015 since I didn't like the new iTunes introduced around then. Also, I don't use any streaming music service or Apple Music nor I intend to since most of the music I listen to aren't available and I prefer owning my music, which are in lossless (ripped from CDs) or High-res downloads for legal services.
Thanks for your valuable insight @chikorita157! I'm also like you and only play my own local music files / not streaming. I'm deciding between Swinsian and Quod Libet (latest update is a bit more recent than Swinsian). I couldn't find out if Quod Libet supports M1 chips yet though, but if it does that should be a good alternative to Apple Music; plus it is open source and supposedly quite lightweight.

Reactions: rmadsen3

winofigments

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Regarding iTunes (Music.app) splitting titles in album view, there's a solution if it's the same issue I'm experiencing. I check all my newly-imported music in the Recently Added smart playlist. If I see two of the same album cover, I command click to select both. Right click Get Info and go to the Sorting panel. Copy the Artist entry into the Sort As field just below. When you click ok, the two covers should now only show as one. As of this date I'm using Monterey 12.5.1 with Music 1.2.5.7 on a Mac Mini M1.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Thanks for your valuable insight @chikorita157! I'm also like you and only play my own local music files / not streaming. I'm deciding between Swinsian and Quod Libet (latest update is a bit more recent than Swinsian). I couldn't find out if Quod Libet supports M1 chips yet though, but if it does that should be a good alternative to Apple Music; plus it is open source and supposedly quite lightweight.
Hi, did you wind up trying Swinsian?

I have found that the Music app in Ventura is a little better than the spaghetti that Apple had been throwing on the wall for the past 10 years. For our wedding last month I used the Music app, four HomePod Minis, and an old Apple AirPort to stream into a surround system w/sound bar and wireless subwoofer+2 rear speakers. Using the Music app on my MBA was the only way to go...things were too squirrelly and not robust when trying to work with my iPad Pro (IMHO the iPad will *never* be a laptop replacement, even for reasons as simple as ease of viewing what you want to control and then manipulating the software...), but there are still a few unnecessarily cumbersome things about the Music app due to Apple's "forced minimalism interface controls" that bug me, so I'm still considering a different software. Assuming only the Music app will be easiest for manipulating remote speakers via AirPlay, I'd want to retain both software apps, so any non-Apple music app would have to use the existing library structure.

Anyway, I was curious if you tried Swinsian and how things went?

verm

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
HKG
Hi, did you wind up trying Swinsian?

I have found that the Music app in Ventura is a little better than the spaghetti that Apple had been throwing on the wall for the past 10 years. For our wedding last month I used the Music app, four HomePod Minis, and an old Apple AirPort to stream into a surround system w/sound bar and wireless subwoofer+2 rear speakers. Using the Music app on my MBA was the only way to go...things were too squirrelly and not robust when trying to work with my iPad Pro (IMHO the iPad will *never* be a laptop replacement, even for reasons as simple as ease of viewing what you want to control and then manipulating the software...), but there are still a few unnecessarily cumbersome things about the Music app due to Apple's "forced minimalism interface controls" that bug me, so I'm still considering a different software. Assuming only the Music app will be easiest for manipulating remote speakers via AirPlay, I'd want to retain both software apps, so any non-Apple music app would have to use the existing library structure.

Anyway, I was curious if you tried Swinsian and how things went?
Hi @Tozovac. I did try both QL and Swinsian! Swinsian was a clear winner and I happily bought a licence for it. It very rarely crashes (maybe once every few months), but it might be because I'm on relatively old hardware (MBA 2012, Catalina). It has inbuilt last.fm which I use regularly. I only use it to play music on my MBA > dac/amp > headphones and don't use any AirPlay so I can't comment on that. The transfer over of my library from the old iTunes folder structure to Swinian was an absolute breeze. All my ratings and even play count and import dates were all there after importing. QL wasn't able to read any of that from the iTunes data. I highly recommend Swinsian, you should definitely give it a shot! Hope that helped.

Reactions: Tozovac

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Hi @Tozovac. I did try both QL and Swinsian! Swinsian was a clear winner and I happily bought a licence for it. It very rarely crashes (maybe once every few months), but it might be because I'm on relatively old hardware (MBA 2012, Catalina). It has inbuilt last.fm which I use regularly. I only use it to play music on my MBA > dac/amp > headphones and don't use any AirPlay so I can't comment on that. The transfer over of my library from the old iTunes folder structure to Swinian was an absolute breeze. All my ratings and even play count and import dates were all there after importing. QL wasn't able to read any of that from the iTunes data. I highly recommend Swinsian, you should definitely give it a shot! Hope that helped.
THX! Sad that Music app is not as great as it was before Apple "improved it."

filmboy

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
I've been using iTunes since 2002. I only use it for one purpose, organizing and playing my media library with its unparalleled (at the time) database feature. It would (a) tag my (lossless since 2005) audio as necessary (b) organize files into folders based on these tags and (c) play my music in order in the background as I use my computer. The "Automatically Add Files" folder was perfect.

It seems that iTunes, or Music as it's called these days, is starting to rot a little. Since early 2020 or so, it seems the database gets corrupted or confused, and the same album gets split into two on one random startup. Half of the songs go in one, and the rest go in the other. Changing the album name to something else, then back to what it was usually fixes it. But the problem is not going away. A full rebuild of the database did not help either. Some albums never get touched, and others have it happen all the time. This had never happened before 2020 and the death of the column browser.

Is there an alternative for Mac? Most of the alternative media players I see (VLC, Foobar, etc.) don't have any database, organizing, or tagging ability.

Alternatively to the alternative, has anyone experienced this splitting issue and resolved it?
I recently tried transferring my iTunes library from a 13-year old MacPro laptop to my current 2020 Intel Macbook Air and it made the same mess described in this and the other MacRumors thread on this issue. It took me about 4 hours, but I was able to reconnect the scrambled songs and split up albums by going into 'Get Info' and doing some re-naming.

But I really miss the simple, column view of the old iTunes. Anyway to restore that in Apple Music? If not, can anyone suggest a free, no frills music player that is really simple to navigate? Although I'd prefer to drag and drop my library, I'd be happy to re-upload my CD collection if it will grant me access to a music player as functional as the old iTunes.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
But I really miss the simple, column view of the old iTunes. Anyway to restore that in Apple Music?

Do you mean “songs” view? You can select that under “view.” text gonna leave a That’s the only view that makes sense to me. Anything else is just an excuse to give a programmer something to do.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Dopamine is also a good player.
https://github.com/digimezzo/dopamine / releases are here(look at the Assets title) https://github.com/digimezzo/dopamine/releases

Foobar2000 has a Mac version with easily accessible beta versions on the same page

JRiver Media Center - try out some of the themes for fun
https://jriver.com/download.html - scroll down the page a little

On the Mac App Store there's Colibri

On the Mac App Store there's Pine Player

On the Mac App Store there's Ionica

There's Tiny Player for macOS and iOS here

Some are small audio players and some are Windows versions ported developed for Windows, Linux and Mac platforms like the case with Dopamine

Reactions: tranceking26

filmboy

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
https://github.com/digimezzo/dopamine / releases are here(look at the Assets title) https://github.com/digimezzo/dopamine/releases

Foobar2000 has a Mac version with easily accessible beta versions on the same page

Some are small audio players and some are Windows versions ported developed for Windows, Linux and Mac platforms like the case with Dopamine
Thank you very much for these suggestions!

filmboy

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013

Thank you very much!

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
How about Musique then? Just to add one more to the list(if not already added)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.