Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I'd still love a great app for converting to different formats.
Licensing issues entangle many of the available solutions. WMV is a lead witness in this prosecution.

HB does, in addition to noted above, VP8/9, and other MKV formats. Look in the Preset tab.
Compressor does a good job of converting a wide range of formats into more commonly used ones.

If you're looking for a more comprehensive any-to-any, try something like Wondershare or Media Encoder, from Adobe.

But if you want something where cost=zero, that will limit your options.

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
Handbrake. While a brilliant utility, MPEG Streamclip is single-threaded and 32-bit.
With Streamclip I can select a portion of an MP4/M4V file and save it - on my MacPro (2014) with SSD this takes seconds for Full-HD. Handbrake, QuickTime and FCPx require re-encode: Streamclip saves a 2GB file in 10 seconds - HB takes 20 minutes at best (6/12-core MacPro).

Re-encoding is not just a waste of time but also a NO-GO because it always implies loss of quality.

Reactions: ultradk

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
I had a similar problem (cutting out advertising from satellite streams). Solution for Catalina: avidemux. UI and workflow can be compared to mpegstreamclip (set markers, cut passages, optionally save directly without conversion (mode: "copy") or encode in h264, h265 mkv etc.) http://avidemux.sourceforge.net
This is a very good solution:
- video: copy
- audio: copy
- muxer: mp4v2 muxer (unfortunately, this has to be selected at every launch, is not remembered)

photodok

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2022
Sorry, I thought it was a well known app. I'm just an amateur looking to define and snip sections of videos out and saving them to a file. Conversion to M4V would be nice. Thanks.
It is a well known app, someone piped in who didn't know the answer and would have been better to keep quiet so we don't have to read it. There are a lot of apps out there, however there is no real true replacement for it. Besides being free MPeg Streamclip was also capable of trimming, compressing, de-interlacing, stripping, joining, converting and many others. There is Movavi, Any Video Converter, Ensoft, Strata and more. Since I have Adobe's full package I have not bothered investigating to deep as Premiere is more of the go to with everything and the only thing I really need is a converter and I already have a paid version of Any Video Converter.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 29, 2018
NYC
It is a well known app, someone piped in who didn't know the answer and would have been better to keep quiet so we don't have to read it. There are a lot of apps out there, however there is no real true replacement for it. Besides being free MPeg Streamclip was also capable of trimming, compressing, de-interlacing, stripping, joining, converting and many others. There is Movavi, Any Video Converter, Ensoft, Strata and more. Since I have Adobe's full package I have not bothered investigating to deep as Premiere is more of the go to with everything and the only thing I really need is a converter and I already have a paid version of Any Video Converter.
Well 1-Click is in the App Store now so I'm all set for what I want to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.