Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
I like to clean my iphone cache every now and then but with 8.4, the free version of phone clean no longer works. I would not like to pay 20 bucks for a software I rarely use. Is there an alternative? I just like the to free my phone of memory.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What exactly are you cleaning? The space used up by some apps? You can usually do that by uninstalling and app and reinstalling it again--typically there shouldn't be that many apps that use that much space that it would be worth cleaning up like that.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
It's not just the free version, since 8.4, PhoneClean no longer works, period.

I recently discovered Memory & Disk Scanner in the App Store. It will clean your iPhone or iPad app cache, just keep running disk scans until it says "no more junk files found".

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Use BatteryDoctor.

It has a function that seems to work in deleting other app's cache. I've used it for a while now, and it seems to work.

I don't know how it works, but it does.

But yeah, I know how infuriating it is that iOS doesn't have a clear cache function for apps. So much potentially useful space gone to waste unless you clear the junk.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Use BatteryDoctor.

It has a function that seems to work in deleting other app's cache. I've used it for a while now, and it seems to work.

I don't know how it works, but it does.

Are you sure BD still works? I have used it for some time but it has been a while since it has cleared any cache. Lately all I get is a "no junk files to clean" msg. when I attempt to clean up cache.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Use BatteryDoctor.

But yeah, I know how infuriating it is that iOS doesn't have a clear cache function for apps. So much potentially useful space gone to waste unless you clear the junk.

I agree Apple should improve the cache problem and come up with a solution to it.
Some apps have the option to clean cache but that really depends on the app and you need to search in the app to find it. This should be an option in the OS.

Are you sure BD still works? I have used it for some time but it has been a while since it has cleared any cache. Lately all I get is a "no junk files to clean" msg. when I attempt to clean up cache.

For me BD still works with 8.4 (I'm not yet running 8.4.1). I just removed 600+ MB cache.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2012
The best way to clear the cache is to do a backup and restore. After this, you end up with a freshly installed ios, you don't lose your data and the cache files get deleted.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
"Cleaning" the phone is a waste of time. But if you have an obsession about it, just restart the phone when the urge hits.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Works for me on iOS 8.4.1.

Usually that happens. Make sure you have tried cleaning a few times.

Apparently it scans different parts of the flash at different times, so some scans may remove more junk than others.

Last edited:

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
"Cleaning" the phone is a waste of time. But if you have an obsession about it, just restart the phone when the urge hits.

That doesn't work, and it's not a waste of time.

Social networking applications are incredibly crazy at caching stuff, and sure, cache may make stuff load faster on those applications and bring other benefits, but it's just wasted space after a while and there's no way to clear it.

After I downloaded BD, I removed well above 1.3GB of junk, and that's a significant amount of space that could be used for something useful, such as videos.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
The best way to clear the cache is to do a backup and restore. After this, you end up with a freshly installed ios, you don't lose your data and the cache files get deleted.

Of course. I do this every six months. But restoring is a drag. A clear cache function would be so much more convenient. Android has it, why can't iOS?

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
What exactly are you cleaning? The space used up by some apps? You can usually do that by uninstalling and app and reinstalling it again--typically there shouldn't be that many apps that use that much space that it would be worth cleaning up like that.

Yes, this also works. But it's all about convenience. Something like a clear cache option, like there is on Android, would be so much more convenient. Reinstalling apps or even restoring from a backup are too much work just to delete some junk.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, this also works. But it's all about convenience. Something like a clear cache option, like there is on Android, would be so much more convenient. Reinstalling apps or even restoring from a backup are too much work just to delete some junk.
Agreed. Unfortunately such an option doesn't really exist, and using a "backdoor" one built into some semi-hidden part of some apps isn't something that really seems to always work (or work well), and who knows what else it could potentially result in.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Works for me on iOS 8.4.1.

Usually that happens. Make sure you have tried cleaning a few times.

Apparently it scans different parts of the flash at different times, so some scans may remove more junk than others.

You're right! Ignoring the no junk files to clean msg. and repetitively running cache clean removed data several times and then returned to the no junk files condition. I ended up cleaning ~.5 gig of cache from social apps.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I use Battery Doctor, now on 8.4.1 as well, and it does seem to find space to give me back on a regular basis but doesnt seem to have a big impact on Facebook and Twitter which both seem to get very large as they cache things. Every so often i will delete and reinstall those two apps which only takes a few minutes but you get the space back.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I use Battery Doctor, now on 8.4.1 as well, and it does seem to find space to give me back on a regular basis but doesnt seem to have a big impact on Facebook and Twitter which both seem to get very large as they cache things. Every so often i will delete and reinstall those two apps which only takes a few minutes but you get the space back.

For Facebook i have seen that it reduced the app size by 100-200MB after cleaning the cache with BD.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Are people actually see Battery doctor remove stuff? As in if you check the free space before and after, does it increase by that amount? I thought apps werent even allowed to touch the sandboxes of other apps period. (even before the 8.4)

I remember a cache cleaning app that just popped out random numbers each time. Didnt free up both RAM/Disk space as it claimed to when i checked using a systems app.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
If i look at free space under Usage before and after i definitely have an increase in free space after using the clean up part of Battery Doctor. Have it installed on my iPad as well and works on that as well.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I tried to GET Battery Doctor from the app store and after the install button it goes back to GET. Is it no longer downloadable?

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Phew good thing I got it yesterday, Apple must be reading this thread. Can't have users cleaning their own phone you know

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Are people actually see Battery doctor remove stuff? As in if you check the free space before and after, does it increase by that amount? I thought apps werent even allowed to touch the sandboxes of other apps period. (even before the 8.4)

I remember a cache cleaning app that just popped out random numbers each time. Didnt free up both RAM/Disk space as it claimed to when i checked using a systems app.
It actually works. I know, I was surprised too.

Maybe it's using an exploit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.