Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meekana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2017
Hi,

I have been using GoDaddy's web design tool for several years now. They changed the web builder I have been using since my last renewal and I learned that I would have to rebuild my website using their new web builder if I continue my GoDaddy web builder subscription.

Question 1: The GoDaddy web builder costs $5.99/month. Are there any web design tools for a Mac user that are free for life? My website is very basic, and it shouldn't require a complex writer (I don't know how to write code but I would be willing to learn if required). I am not adverse to paying a fee for a web page design app provided it is reasonable, but of course would prefer a zero price tag. I am not interested in hiring someone else to build/maintain my website.

Question 2: What alternatives to GoDaddy would you recommend as far as hosting and domain? I am assuming that I would be able to transfer the domain I pay for via GoDaddy to a new host/domain provider. Do you find other hosts/domain providers charge relatively the same price for these things? GoDaddy makes you use their web design tool. Are there any domains/hosts that allow you to use whatever web builder you want, or do they make you use their brand web builder?

If you have any recommendations as far as free or low price web builder sites/applications, let me know how often they update their product and if you have to rebuild your site from scratch when they do update. I was shocked I couldn't import any of the content built in my current GoDaddy builder to their new version.

I have been researching this on the web, but I have found what I come across to be either too sophisticated for my level of web build understanding or else promotional. If you have a link that answers my questions on a basic level I'd appreciate such, too.

Thank you very much for any guidance!

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
You can test drive SquareSpace and WordPress for free. I've been using SquareSpace for the past 3 years for a small business I work at. Very simple to use. Both offer hosting as well.

kirasmart

Suspended
Feb 7, 2017
I've been a Mac user for over 5 years. When it came to designing my own website, I did my own research and found out this info. I ended up with using Wix and its templates turned out to be pretty responsive and easily customizable.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
If you can handle all of the web coding, and just need a server to host it, NFSHost is nice and only charges for what you use.

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
Not being snarky, but I recommend learning to HTML/CSS. It's not hard and once you know it, you have a skill that's transportable and you won't be reliant on someone else's app or service.

As for the server, a $5 DigitalOcean VPS will be more than enough for your needs

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
Might want to give a go to Snaplitics, they created a cloud platform based on WordPress that kicks ass with its features and ease of use.

No thanks.

Why would I want to pay money to a company (of which you are part of) who've used an open-source project I don't like to build a platform I don't need?

Insecure, database-driven CMS's and overpriced support contracts are headaches I don't need.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi,

I have been using GoDaddy's web design tool for several years now. They changed the web builder I have been using since my last renewal and I learned that I would have to rebuild my website using their new web builder if I continue my GoDaddy web builder subscription.

Question 1: The GoDaddy web builder costs $5.99/month. Are there any web design tools for a Mac user that are free for life? My website is very basic, and it shouldn't require a complex writer (I don't know how to write code but I would be willing to learn if required). I am not adverse to paying a fee for a web page design app provided it is reasonable, but of course would prefer a zero price tag. I am not interested in hiring someone else to build/maintain my website.

Question 2: What alternatives to GoDaddy would you recommend as far as hosting and domain? I am assuming that I would be able to transfer the domain I pay for via GoDaddy to a new host/domain provider. Do you find other hosts/domain providers charge relatively the same price for these things? GoDaddy makes you use their web design tool. Are there any domains/hosts that allow you to use whatever web builder you want, or do they make you use their brand web builder?

If you have any recommendations as far as free or low price web builder sites/applications, let me know how often they update their product and if you have to rebuild your site from scratch when they do update. I was shocked I couldn't import any of the content built in my current GoDaddy builder to their new version.

I have been researching this on the web, but I have found what I come across to be either too sophisticated for my level of web build understanding or else promotional. If you have a link that answers my questions on a basic level I'd appreciate such, too.

Thank you very much for any guidance!

If you are willing to learn html and don't mind a basic design, just get seamonkey for free.
If you want to spend a little money, get easy markdown.
If you want something with a lot of easy templates for professional design, get rapidweaver 7 rather than hype pro.
RapidWeaver if far quicker to get a site up and going than faffing around with Hype Pro.

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
If you are willing to learn html and don't mind a basic design, just get seamonkey for free.
If you want to spend a little money, get easy markdown.
If you want something with a lot of easy templates for professional design, get rapidweaver 7 rather than hype pro.
RapidWeaver if far quicker to get a site up and going than faffing around with Hype Pro.

All good suggestions. Another in my opinion is to try a static site generator like Pelican or Jekyll.You can get started quickly with some markdown content and a theme. Then you can slowly start tweaking the theme as you learn more about HTML and CSS.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
You have a business to run. Once we start with that statement the rest is easy. Don't bother learning HTML or CSS. That's for people who's work is designing sites. That's their business, not yours. There are quite a few suggestions above but what's not know is what your specific needs are. A simple search returns pages like this, which can be sorted through to see what the best solution is for you. https://goo.gl/bLvi4e

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.