Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Re Nik, they're plugins so once you've got them I don't know that they are tied to any software. In any case, when I had some hassles with my Nik license upon the first update after Google acquired them I contacted Google and in a hot second they just issued me new licenses.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
aaaahhhhrrrr F...

Photosmith only works with iPads, and not iPhones. That means I am back to sticing with Aperture, or live with iPhoto/Photos...

OK, plan B. Check out Capture One Express or Pro (still on sale; dunno when that ends but maybe today). They have a freebie app called Capture One Pilot. It's pretty simple: you fire up desktop application and it can start a server. You connect to the server (basically web) with your iPhone or iPad and see the photos. You can do some adjustments, tag, etc and those changes are reflected on the desktop.

And it's nice RAW processor. I tested the demo and got better results for my Oly than with LR.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Does it support plugins such as Nik, Topaz, Perfect Photo, DxO, Pixelmator or others? I saw no reference to plugins.

Last edited:

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Comparing Capture One Pro to Lightroom RAW processing, I am seeing a significant difference with my Olympus RAW files. Capture One processes the RAW files more like the Olympus in-camera JPEGS- which is a plus. Less noise, sharper and Olympus like colors. Nice! If I can get a handle on editing in Capture One, this might make me switch.

Seeing exactly the same with all our Fuji X series kit as well in CO. The other thing I like is that we are getting good lens correction straight out of the box. RAW control is better than Aperture.

CO is worth a look guys - especially if like me, you don't want to see Adobe get a sole grip across the whole of the creative market.

I'm still also loading all our images into referenced Aperture storage as well, just in case the improved API in Photo brings with it a strong 3rd party plugin market!

----------

Re Nik, they're plugins so once you've got them I don't know that they are tied to any software. In any case, when I had some hassles with my Nik license upon the first update after Google acquired them I contacted Google and in a hot second they just issued me new licenses.

Yep same thumbs up for Nik response! Really good service for sorting licensing issues!

----------

I am thinking about trying Capture One. The only thing that bothers me is it doesn't have support for Nik Software plugins. I guess it's not the end of the world, however, since you can use the Nik plugins as standalone apps and then just import the photos back into Capture One.

I have heard that Capture One is quite buggy. How are you finding it in terms of stability?

We have cross loaded about 1400 of our most recent images to Aperture (referenced library) and CO as a trial and currently I haven't seen any buggyness in CO at all....very stable and quite quick. Currently we are storing the resulting edits in their version of library, how that pans out as it gets bigger I'm not sure though.

Ultimately, I'm gonna wait to see how Photo looks and how the 3rd party market responds to it. It's a bit of extra work to run 2 DAMs, but saves making a drastic decision to early!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Comparing Capture One Pro to Lightroom RAW processing, I am seeing a significant difference with my Olympus RAW files. Capture One processes the RAW files more like the Olympus in-camera JPEGS- which is a plus. Less noise, sharper and Olympus like colors. Nice! If I can get a handle on editing in Capture One, this might make me switch.

I've looked into Capture One once and I Agree the RAW processing is closer to Olympus, but for some reason I just could'n't adjust the app. I'm well on my way to converting over to LR, but I'll give this another look nevertheless.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
I like what I'm seeing with Capture One Pro and it very well may be a good alternative. I like the thought of moving to software from a company that is completely dedicated to photography. It has the asset management piece too. The things I'd have a tough time letting go of is the ease of use with Aperture and my NIK plugins and the Zenfolio plugin. Neither of those work with Capture One. You can use standalone apps from NIK or others and there are other ways to upload I just like the way it works with Aperture. I will say I've never been completly happy with Apertures RAW processing for my Nikon so that may be a plus for Capture One.

I hope we hear word sooner than later about Photos and plugin support. I don't want to wait a year to find out. If a program like Capture One offered plugin support I would be really tempted to jump ship now. I know LR does but I've never taken to it and though we've been Creative Suite users for many years I still don't fully buy into Adobe. The subscription model is fine for my wife's business but I don't like it for personel use (I know you can buy it standalone).

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I've looked into Capture One once and I Agree the RAW processing is closer to Olympus, but for some reason I just could'n't adjust the app. I'm well on my way to converting over to LR, but I'll give this another look nevertheless.

Let me know how to do plugins with Capture One. I can't believe the company thinks everything you could want and need is inside their program. That would make them more arrogant than Adobe.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let me know how to do plugins with Capture One. I can't believe the company thinks everything you could want and need is inside their program. That would make them more arrogant than Adobe.

That was one of my questions, does it handle plugins. I'll be honest, I haven't looked at C1 for a while, I just downloaded the trial to play with it again.

From the reviews I've read, its slower then LR in some areas. Raw processing is subjectively better but the more I read about it the more its seems that there's no clear cut consensus.

I was going to start a discussion on C1 but I think there's a lot of info in this thread and the more I look into it, the less I'm inclined to use it.

I think LR is the industry leader and I know what I'm getting. Its not a perfect solution (what is perfect) but so far It looks like its fitting my needs.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I can't think of a good reason to to react and switch from Aperture now.

I'll take the wait and see approach. Who knows...Photos may do everything I want/need it to do. If it doesn't, I'll deal with it then.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Good strategy. See what is available and read other folks comments about what they use and the trials and tribulations they go through migrating. If Photos does well enough, and especially lets you use plugins, it may be a solution for many folks who have been iPhoto or Aperture users.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I sat through several Capture One tutorials. It seems to have a very flexible catalog system like Aperture that lets you store the raw files inside the catalog database package or in file systems folders....your choice. You can also do logical projects, folders, and albums in the same manner as Aperture. Very cool.

The image editing tools seem very good.

Missing: plugins support, map/gps support, web page gallery support, slideshow creation, book creation support, and social media site export. If you use those types of functions in Aperture or LR, Capture One may not be a good fit for you.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I can't think of a good reason to to react and switch from Aperture now.

I'll take the wait and see approach. Who knows...Photos may do everything I want/need it to do. If it doesn't, I'll deal with it then.

Exactly my feelings too. Aperture does more than I currently need. Since it will work on Yosemite I figure I'm covered for at least a year or more. If Photos doesn't cut it, I'm no worse off. When I get to the point that Aperture won't do what I need, I can migrate then.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
I hope we hear word sooner than later about Photos and plugin support. I don't want to wait a year to find out. If a program like Capture One offered plugin support I would be really tempted to jump ship now. I know LR does but I've never taken to it and though we've been Creative Suite users for many years I still don't fully buy into Adobe. The subscription model is fine for my wife's business but I don't like it for personel use (I know you can buy it standalone).

Ask and ye shall recieve.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/01/photos-editing-effects-plugins/

Hopefully this means the info will flow pretty quickly on Photos capabilities. If it allows seamless plugin capabilities then it may foot the bill for me. I do most of my heavy lifting in NIK.

Another note, the anticipation of what Photos may be should be epic fodder for internet forums. Especially if it's a let down, and it always will be to a % of the users. Not as gargantuan as iWatch/iPhone 6 anticipation (and subsequent internet hate) but nonetheless agonizing in this circle.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I sat through several Capture One tutorials.
I've played with this a bit and I'm liking how C1 is rendering my images, I'm going to take a deeper dive on this tomorrow and pull in a bunch of my other images.

I agree the lack of social media output is an issue as is plugins. So far though I like how it handles noise and blown hilights.

FWRLCK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
Exactly my feelings too. Aperture does more than I currently need. Since it will work on Yosemite I figure I'm covered for at least a year or more. If Photos doesn't cut it, I'm no worse off. When I get to the point that Aperture won't do what I need, I can migrate then.

Plus, if Photos doesn't cover it, a year from now Adobe will have whatever migration tool they plan on offering (and you can bet that there will be one) as mature as its likely to get.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I guess Razeus won, dang it :D!

I've always been a fan of Aperture's philosophy of workflow and I don't care for LR's UI or it's own concepts of workflow. I'll probably use Aperture for as long as possible. I'm not interested in Photos, per se, though it will be interesting to see what they have under the hood. What I'm interested in more is what can be added on to the application given the hooks Yosemite is exposing API-wise against the RAW engine and what will happen on that front. Maybe some good stuff on the plugin/extension front.

I own LR, so if absolutely necessary, I'd start doing my project work there, but I also own C1 and DXO Optics Pro but they don't work with my Nik plugins. Ugh. I'll wait and evaluate.

I just got back from vacation and this is news I come back to. The writing was on the wall.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Aperture to Lightroom: The Switch is On!

You might want to watch the video.

---------------------
"In case you missed it, last night KelbyOne launched a free webcast helping you ease into the switch from Aperture to Lightroom. Lightroom pros, Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski (along with a little help from RC Concepcion) gave viewers the skinny on the big change, along with a step-by-step tutorial on how to make your transition fast, easy and fun. You can check out the rebroadcast of the FREE event."

http://kelbyone.com/aperture-to-lightroom/webcast/

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'll continue to use Lightroom and Photoshop and wonder how you few remaining Aperture users didn't see this coming. :p

It wasn't that I didn't see it coming, it was more hoping for the best. For instance iWork withered on the vine for a significant amount of time, yet apple updated that, albeit by gutting it, but still - hope springs eternal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say I'm liking Capture One, though I'm not sold on its DAM capabilities yet. I hope to put it through more of its paces today if I can. It definitely has some short comings compared to LR, i.e., plug-ins and social media.

I'll try to import a years worth of images and see how things work on my rMBP.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...h-pro-level-image-search-editing-plugins-more

Last sentence in the article: "Interestingly, Apple also mentioned it is concurrently working on a transitionary workflow from Aperture to Adobe's Lightroom, suggesting Photos may not fit the needs of photography professionals."

Makes me wonder if the reaction from photographers is stronger that Apple had hoped. Interesting if they write tools to bring photos and their sidecar edits from Aperture and populate a LR catalog with the raw image (which would be stored in the file system) and the sidecar ( which goes in the catalog files).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I was using Aperture 2 until late last year, so I should be fine on the current version for a year or two. I have also had better luck with Aperture than Lightroom for my workflow, and like the layout and nomenclature used for their tools.

I am also not a fan of subscribing for applications, as my life with Apple has been full of discounted, or free upgrades. I have enough monthly payments (phone, internet, etc) and I can't (personally) fathom the need to have a monthly subscription for software.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am also not a fan of subscribing for applications, as my life with Apple has been full of discounted, or free upgrades. I have enough monthly payments (phone, internet, etc) and I can't (personally) fathom the need to have a monthly subscription for software.

LR5 can be purchased as a stand alone product, but to be honest, I think the writing is on the wall, and LR will be moving to the subscription model, either in LR6 or shortly after that.

Lr upgrades are 80 bucks and adobe seems to be releasing major updates every 12 to 18 months. The photography bundle is 120 a year (or 10 dollars a month). This includes photoshop, so I guess you can make a case that if they do force us to subscription the price isn't horrendously expensive. My concern though is being locked in to the subscription process. I don't always upgrade my software, so why pay for something I'm not using.

I'm rather hesitant to commit to Adobe for this reason. I'm like as an application LR though I'd still consider myself a novice with it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
LR5 can be purchased as a stand alone product, but to be honest, I think the writing is on the wall, and LR will be moving to the subscription model, either in LR6 or shortly after that.

Lr upgrades are 80 bucks and adobe seems to be releasing major updates every 12 to 18 months. The photography bundle is 120 a year (or 10 dollars a month). This includes photoshop, so I guess you can make a case that if they do force us to subscription the price isn't horrendously expensive. My concern though is being locked in to the subscription process. I don't always upgrade my software, so why pay for something I'm not using.

I'm rather hesitant to commit to Adobe for this reason. I'm like as an application LR though I'd still consider myself a novice with it.

Thanks for that, I mistakenly saw it as being a subscription currently.

And I fully agree with your bolded point. I often don't upgrade software until I can fully test it, and ensure it functions in a way that I can use it. I had issues with the current version of Aperture why it took me a long time to migrate to it from Version 2.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...h-pro-level-image-search-editing-plugins-more

Last sentence in the article: "Interestingly, Apple also mentioned it is concurrently working on a transitionary workflow from Aperture to Adobe's Lightroom, suggesting Photos may not fit the needs of photography professionals."

Makes me wonder if the reaction from photographers is stronger that Apple had hoped. Interesting if they write tools to bring photos and their sidecar edits from Aperture and populate a LR catalog with the raw image (which would be stored in the file system) and the sidecar ( which goes in the catalog files).

Apple have said nothing of the sort.

I think it was TechCrunch who originally wrote that Apple would help users transition to Lightroom, but they later retracted the comment.

Apple's official statement is freely available online. It explains that users will be able to open their Aperture libraries in the new Photos app.

This is just poor journalism on the part of Apple Insider. By not checking their sources they're just adding fuel to the fire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.