Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
davecuse said:
I tried hooking my powerbook into my roommates 53" Sony HDTV, through the DVI port in the back. The picture looks great, however there's some clipping around the edges, you can only see half the dock, and the menubar up top is off screen.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix that? I'd eventually like to get a mac mini to hook up to it, but if it's going to be clipped off I'm not going to...

Overscan.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
Cooknn said:
Sounds like an overscan problem on the TV. That's my guess anyways. It can be a challenge to adjust. You have to go into service mode and take the chance of screwing up a lot more than you'll fix...

that's really unfortunate...

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
It seems Dell gets all the votes from the States. But outside the States prices are double (!) and buying a Dell screen in the Netherlands means buying an ugly and cheaply build screen for a premium. The 17" TFT screen is € 392 ($ 510) where average prices are below € 300 already. So for the price of a 17" screen here you can almost buy a 20" WS TFT in the States ($560 vs $1060 in the netherlands). I have the feeling people outside the States are sponsering narrow margins for Dell in their main market. Not gonna participate in that. I'd rather have my eyes stuck out than sitting in front of a Dell at home.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
i remember reading a few months ago that the EU raised rates on HD-capable monitors, so that means the Dell that everyone here in the states is suggesting probably won't be affordable over there.

If your monitor is likely to be deskbound (as in you'll move it once every 3 years or something) get a CRT. They're cheap, and great quality if you get a Viewsonic :).

matix

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2005
Vancouver, BC
my recommendation:

Samsung 730B

Just bought this for my mini. I haven't got a DVI cable for it yet, but upgrading from a crappy 17inch CRT is good enough for now. 17 inch viewable, 8ms response, 600:1 contrast. what other 17" beats it? nothing at this price. its also aesthetically pleasing to me as i prefer black over silver.. just mo

Samsung 730B

got it for $429 CAD or about $350 USD

mackaveli

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
Question about the 2405FPW,

do i need to calibrate this for the mac cause i read forums and people saying the color wont be as good unless you calibrate it and so forth? like the color profile isn't as great as the ACD? cause i cant find any forums really talking about using this monitor with a mac.

thanks.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I use a IBM P97 that I picked up from the User group I go to for 20. Its jet black, goes up to 2048x1536 resolution at 72Hz, really sharp picture and colors. ;)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
HP F2304 23" LCD

Has anyone tried HP F2304 23" wide screen LCD? I saw it at CompUSA and it is listed at a little under US$1500. 1920 X 1200 res. DVI-I and other connector options. Speakers are also interegrated in this unit. What do you think, compared to ACD 23"?

punkbass25

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
mackaveli said:
Question about the 2405FPW,

do i need to calibrate this for the mac cause i read forums and people saying the color wont be as good unless you calibrate it and so forth? like the color profile isn't as great as the ACD? cause i cant find any forums really talking about using this monitor with a mac.

thanks.

you should calibrate every monitor no matter who makes it, or what computer it is tethered to no less than once a year, no exceptions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.