Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williamrodz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Hello!

I have two outdoor, weather-resistant speakers. I am looking for an amplifier to power them for music.

What I want:
- AirPlay 2 control / HomeKit support
- Amazon Alexa control
- Volume control from iOS Device (ideally integrated with AirPlay)

In the average use case, I'll use the Spotify app to play music from my iPhone.

So far, it seems that the Sonos Amp has everything I want. However, it's on the pricey end at $649. Is there a less expensive alternative available that has everything I'm looking for?

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Just curious, if your speakers are outside and the amp inside, how is Alexa going to work?

kristof46

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2015
Sonos still is not so "pro" imo. High price just because it is Sonos. Sounds like Apple prices ;)
Anyway. Take a look at Marantz products. Especially Marantz MCR-612 (melody x). It could be little bit more expensive but it is waaaay better amp.

kristof46

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2015
Or get an airport express / appleTV and any old amp.
How do you want to connect them? Old ATV had optical port so it was possible. Old amp don't have HDMI. Airport express had minijack but it is old device

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
They're old but apple still supports them and they're a pretty popular choice for streaming - despite the fact that as such they command a relatively high price on eBay/craigslist. Still much cheaper than the alternatives, especially if you already have the amp.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Sonos still is not so "pro" imo. High price just because it is Sonos. Sounds like Apple prices ;)
Anyway. Take a look at Marantz products. Especially Marantz MCR-612 (melody x). It could be little bit more expensive but it is waaaay better amp.

That is a terrible suggestion. He can do alot better for the price.

kristof46

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2015
That is a terrible suggestion. He can do alot better for the price.
You are right but only if he has enough space for bigger machine. In this price range we can talk about AV amp Yamaha Onkyo etc. But if he doesn’t have enough space (like I did) you have to look for something smaller with good sound. Marantz is really good. Much better than Sonos or Denon.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Sonos is more like the apple equivalent in audio except the support their stuff. Buddy has an Amp, no complaints

williamrodz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
You are right but only if he has enough space for bigger machine. In this price range we can talk about AV amp Yamaha Onkyo etc. But if he doesn’t have enough space (like I did) you have to look for something smaller with good sound. Marantz is really good. Much better than Sonos or Denon.
I have space! So you recommend a Yamaha or Onkyo AV receiver? Any in particular?

kristof46

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2015
Yamaha R-N803D
Yamaha R-N602
Yamaha RX-V 485
Onkyo TX 8390
Onkyo TX-8270
Onkyo TX-8250

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.