Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
If you're fully invested in Apple hardware, the studio display certainly makes sense, though I do think there are better options available. If you're using non-apple hardware the feature disparity is even larger imo, i.e., third party displayers offer more features for non-apple users.
I'm fully invested in Apple stuff, but strongly considered some third party options. Thought about an OLED 42", which would be killer for games and video, but apparently not very good for text (work use) and had an auto-dimming feature that couldn't be disabled without voiding the warrantee. Then there was the Cooler Master Tempest which seemed to have good HDR and clear text -- almost ordered it, but both the display & the only apparently seller on Amazon both had questionable user ratings and very few user review overall. Just didn't want to make a $900 mistake.

As much as I'd like HDR and a higher refresh rate, the Studio Display has 5K, the built-in webcam, three handy USB-C ports, great color accuracy, and the clearest text in the biz... more important to me than gaming and media consumption, which I do on my OLED TV anyway. It's for my workstation first and foremost. Just wish Apple would have implemented a little local dimming in the damn thing for that price.

Reactions: jazzerd8

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Apple Studio Monitor is a super expensive for what it offers/lacks unless you really want built in camera and speakers into your monitor and a notion of being safe due to OEM macOS compatibility. Display specs are mediocre for the price. If you are willing to spend that much money then sure you can pony up $200 more and get EIZO ColorEdge CS2740

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Bottom line, is if the studio display has the features you want, and fits your needs, its a good choice.
Yeah, I feel good about it overall. I do love the iMac display for what I really need from it. Do you think this panel is improved over the 2017 iMac at all?

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
I like my Studio display. It looks and acts (from the front) almost exactly like a smaller version its big brother, the XDR. The speakers and camera are nice, but I don't use them. It is a solid display, literally, and I can see very little difference between the two except, obviously, for screen real estate.

All that being said, I also have LG and Samsung montitors that look just fine also, but my peeve with non-Apple displays is that apparently the manufacturers spend less on the development of their stands than Apple does on the packaging. My Linux box has an LG with an absolutely crisp view, but the stand is a travesty. Just setting a coffee cup on the desk makes it wobble.

But, you get what you paid for, I guess. Both OEM monitors together didn't reach the cost of the Studio. Still, for something that you will stare at for years to come is not a device that you want to skip on as to quality.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
It is a solid display, literally

Yeah, this was a big factor for me. So many non-Apple displays are just incredibly ugly and the enclosures are garbage. Also watched videos where the simple act of adjusting the display bent the display behind the bezel. I'm a sucker for aesthetics, but cheap/wobbly enclosures on expensive displays is a deal breaker for me.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I've been thinking of upgrading from a 2017 4K 21.5" iMac and was thinking a studio display and Mac mini pro would be what to aim for. I can't afford this option and have been looking into other monitors. My iMac has got the best screen I have ever used, much better than the windows laptops and desktops at work the best of which is a 20ish" 1080p display. I recently saw that my 4K iMac is set to Default of 2048 x 1152 (2K?). So do I need even a 4K monitor? The Mac monitor thing gets more confusing the more you look into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.