Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
It looks like a great app, but it's not been updated in a while and hasn't been optimized for M1.

Any suggestions? Ideally I'd like something that mimics the Windows taskbar.

Reactions: GeoStructural

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Only and old version (3 I believe) is in the Mac App Store. The newer version (4.1.6) isn't and just on their website uBar - The Dock replacement for the Mac (brawersoftware.com) but it isn't a M1/universal app yet.

I was a Windows kid since forever and made the M1 Mini jump since it was compact/powerful/energy efficient/silent/not too expensive (in the base config) and it wasn't something with an Intel chip.

I tried uBar out today (has 2 weeks free trial) and was so happy with it that I didn't wait and bought it after about 1-2 hours. the Mini is much more comfortable to use if you're used to Windows.

Unfortunately pretty much all the videos and tips you find is how to make Windows look more like MacOS.

Haven't really found much regarding how to have "Windows" like functions/features on Mac other than these 3:

• uBar (taskbar)
  • quitter (closing Apps)
  • Magnet (window manager switching/pinning to sides)

If you do find some alternatives I'd like to know too.

madonnaragu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2021
I agree - uBar seems great! But it does not look good that the latest update was in May 2020, with no M1 support.

Here is a good list of some other Mac apps that may be useful:

Are you talking about this quitter app?

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
Yes, however since I can easily see my open Apps with the uBar and close them with the right click now I don't need the former.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.