Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Successful or not?

• Total voters

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I like it. It's quite platform agnostic. Most other forums are polarized one way or another and it's hard to get realistic comparison or opinions and most threads featuring more than one platform end up derailing very quickly.

Still quite a bit of fanboyism going on, but hey, I think it's still a very good forum.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I like it, its a place where people in a similar tech situation as me can discuss, before I could discuss having an iPhone with Windows as my PC OS. Now I can ask questions with other people who are jumping from iPhone to Android.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I voted no. This is a Mac/Apple specific forum.
Actually, no, this is an "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" subforum of an "iPhone, iPod, and iPad" forum.

I assume you're also opposed to the Community Discussion, Picture Gallery, and Marketplace forums as well, despite posting in at least some of those rather often?

----------

I noticed that at least one who voted against spends the majority of their posting time here.
Apparently because it has yet to show clear proof of iOS superiority.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
it's a success since it's flooded with other device trolls. I use to troll this site myself when I only owned android devices. To bad alternative device sections isn't a success on other sites. Try reading or discussing anything on androidcentral iphone section and it's nothing but negative stuff. You can't even have a discussion about iphones in it's own section without some idiot trying to throw android down ppl's throats. I see why it's a dead section. At least ppl here don't go overboard and actually let you have a discussion about android.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Actually, no, this is an "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" subforum of an "iPhone, iPod, and iPad" forum.

I assume you're also opposed to the Community Discussion, Picture Gallery, and Marketplace forums as well, despite posting in at least some of those rather often?.

The OP should have posted in Site And forum feedback of this Mac/Apple specific forum. Why haven't you moved it?

I don't have a problem with off topic discussion at all. I do however have a problem with astroturfers and shills however and have absolutely no interesting in making my life harder and frustrating by investing in a non iOS/OS X ecosystem.

stridemat said:
From a modding point of view, IMO it's much better!

The typical mac demographic has absolutely zilch interest in hacking their devices.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The OP should have posted in Site And forum feedback of this Mac/Apple specific forum. Why haven't you moved it?
I disagree, and I didn't move it (not that I would have) because I'm not a moderator.
I don't have a problem with off topic discussion at all. I do however have a problem with astroturfers and shills however and have absolutely no interesting in making my life harder and frustrating by investing in a non iOS/OS X ecosystem.
So why bother to comment in this subforum, then?
The typical mac demographic has absolutely zilch interest in hacking their devices.
The average ______ demographic has absolutely zilch interest in hacking their devices. Hacking is not exceedingly popular on any major platform because most people don't care to try it. That said, hacking exists on all major platforms (perhaps you've heard of jailbreaking? it's pretty damned popular with iDevice users).

However, that's besides the point, because stridemat meant "moderating."

----------

BTW nice to see you back around these parts :)
It's nice to be back. :)

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I disagree, and I didn't move it (not that I would have) because I'm not a moderator.
So why bother to comment in this subforum, then?

The average ______ demographic has absolutely zilch interest in hacking their devices. Hacking is not exceedingly popular on any major platform because most people don't care to try it. That said, hacking exists on all major platforms (perhaps you've heard of jailbreaking? it's pretty damned popular with iDevice users).

However, that's besides the point, because stridemat meant "moderating."

----------

It's nice to be back. :)

Maybe this sub forum should not up in search results for new posts.

Ah. It's an honorary title. To be honest I was ignorant of the term. However I was aware of the practice of jail braking.

stridemat may have meant "moderating" but he said "modding".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modding

Thank you for your patronage.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm almost exclusively spending my time here ever since I got my S3 :D

Same here for the most part. I do miss browsing the jailbreaking section of the forums ever since the iPhone 5 was released. Almost 2 months now with no jailbreak for the iPhone 5 users over there.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Great success. Android topics in the main iPhone section was running rampant and caused way too many arguements and trolling. The Alternative section cut that by 75% IMO. This is also a very active forum, so having this section is sometimes better than some Android dedicated forums.

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Success, for sure. My question is this:

How come when a thread pops up in the iPhone forums that talks about why people have chosen Android over iOS, it is considered inappropriate and gets moved here, but a thread created in the Alternatives talking about why someone has chosen iOS over Android can exist without restrictions?

In fact, there are threads here in the Alternatives created for the express purpose of telling all of us explicitly why they aren't, or can't, or won't ever consider any alternative to iOS. Why aren't those being moved to the iPhone forums?

Perhaps the mods ought to do a better job of deciphering who's trolling who.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Success, for sure. My question is this:

How come when a thread pops up in the iPhone forums that talks about why people have chosen Android over iOS, it is considered inappropriate and gets moved here, but a thread created in the Alternatives talking about why someone has chosen iOS over Android can exist without restrictions?

In fact, there are threads here in the Alternatives created for the express purpose of telling all of us explicitly why they aren't, or can't, or won't ever consider any alternative to iOS. Why aren't those being moved to the iPhone forums?

I'm pretty sure one of the purposes of the Alternative forum is to compare. After all, it is under the iDevices section and this is MACrumors, so Apple OSs and devices should have priority and have Android talk left out the main section.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I'm pretty sure one of the purposes of the Alternative forum is to compare. After all, it is under the iDevices section and this is MACrumors, so Apple OSs and devices should have priority and have Android talk left out the main section.

I agree with this and have no problem with it. Its also a question of traffic as the iPhone forum is much harder to police with so much heavy usage. I welcome comparisons as they bring to light many issues I never thought about.

inhalewaste

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012

100% agree. The threads I'm speaking about aren't interest in comparing. At all. They're far more interested in explaining precisely why they wouldn't ever considering switching, why certain things about the competition are "deal-breakers" (do they understand what that word means?). People are welcomed to do whatever they want--it's an open forum. I'm just throwing out the question.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's a success. The iPhone forum used to be 50% Android talk....it was real bad.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
People are more sophisticated here than they are at XDA definitely. I would rather talk about Android here than I would there. The age range here is much higher and it's not teenager talk.

I'm really happy with how the threads are going anyway. This area is much better than the iPhone/iPad ones which gets littered with the same threads week after week with people having issues and complaining. There's a lot of talk about the hardware, how us Mac users deal with syncing our non-Apple tech, and apps in general.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I spent years as a moderator. The mods will fix what they see, but they cannot possibly monitor every thread and every post on the entire site 24/7. They rely on people reporting posts and threads. If you feel a thread should be moved, report it.

It is also entirely likely - perhaps more likely - that the decision was made to put anything dealing with non-iOS into here, even if they are pro-iOS rants against Android.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I wouldn't want this board to be an Android/WindowsPhone/Whatever circle jerk to be perfectly honest. You can pretty much judge a thread by a well written title. Think it's a baiting thread or not to your taste? Avoid! :D

The only disappointing thing is the way some threads are derailed by the same comments by what is thankfully only a couple of members in these boards. The vast majority of posters here come across as mature and seem receptive to a good platform debate.

Good to see the majority like the new section too. :D

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I wouldn't want this board to be an Android/WindowsPhone/Whatever circle jerk to be perfectly honest. You can pretty much judge a thread by a well written title. Think it's a baiting thread or not to your taste? Avoid! :D

The only disappointing thing is the way some threads are derailed by the same comments by what is thankfully only a couple of members in these boards. The vast majority of posters here come across as mature and seem receptive to a good platform debate.

Good to see the majority like the new section too. :D

2 names come to mind :p

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
2 names come to mind :p

I have no idea who that could be....
rolleyes.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.