Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LittleJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Worthington, OH
I dont know if anyone else is having this problem. I skimmed back a few pages and didnt see anything other than BF2142 (MAC) woes.

I have BF2142 (PC), got it when it first came out, and I was playing it via Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro 2.16GHz CoreDuo with no problems at all.

I upgraded to the new iMac 2.4GHz Core2Duo, installed the latest Bootcamp, installed windows and the Apple Drivers, installed all the updates, installed BF2142.

Everything looks peachy at this point. I pop in the disc and load up the game, it lets me log into BF2142 server into my soldiers account... for ohhhh a whole 10 seconds. Then everything locks up for a couple seconds (minus the sound) and the screen just goes pitchblack. Not even just the backlight going out, or no image on the screen... but total darkness... no power or video to the LCD at all. Yet I can hear the BF2142 music playing in the background, and I can move the mouse around and hear myself clicking things. The only resolution is to restart.

Ive redone the process 3 time with the exact same results. Going so far as to delete the bootcamp partition and start over from scratch.

Anyone else having this same problem or know of a fix?
I wouldnt mind going out and buying BF2142 (MAC) if there were not so many threads about how ****** that port is.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I dont know if anyone else is having this problem. I skimmed back a few pages and didnt see anything other than BF2142 (MAC) woes.

I have BF2142 (PC), got it when it first came out, and I was playing it via Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro 2.16GHz CoreDuo with no problems at all.

I upgraded to the new iMac 2.4GHz Core2Duo, installed the latest Bootcamp, installed windows and the Apple Drivers, installed all the updates, installed BF2142.

Everything looks peachy at this point. I pop in the disc and load up the game, it lets me log into BF2142 server into my soldiers account... for ohhhh a whole 10 seconds. Then everything locks up for a couple seconds (minus the sound) and the screen just goes pitchblack. Not even just the backlight going out, or no image on the screen... but total darkness... no power or video to the LCD at all. Yet I can hear the BF2142 music playing in the background, and I can move the mouse around and hear myself clicking things. The only resolution is to restart.

Ive redone the process 3 time with the exact same results. Going so far as to delete the bootcamp partition and start over from scratch.

Anyone else having this same problem or know of a fix?
I wouldnt mind going out and buying BF2142 (MAC) if there were not so many threads about how ****** that port is.

At the moment Bootcamp is the ONLY way I can play BF2142. It runs awsome on mine. Nothing like rdx'ing about 5-6 guys at once and flying across the screen.

But seriously, on my setup it runs just fine.

LittleJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Worthington, OH
At the moment Bootcamp is the ONLY way I can play BF2142. It runs awsome on mine. Nothing like rdx'ing about 5-6 guys at once and flying across the screen.

But seriously, on my setup it runs just fine.

Youre running a 2.8GHz with the XT video card though and Im running with the 2.4GHZ Pro video card. So it must be driver issues with the Pro.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Youre running a 2.8GHz with the XT video card though and Im running with the 2.4GHZ Pro video card. So it must be driver issues with the Pro.

It's the ATI in general. XP runs fine (even in bootcamp) but in OSX the driver comes up short.

I have an ongoing support conversation with EA. I'll be posting our communications back and forth on a post soon to hopefully help others out.

One issue was fixed due to application enhancer (APE) and the graphics glitches are still being looked at. Not holding my breath but hoping for something soon, or at least an explanation.

togermano

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
The bootcamp drivers for the new imac are old,buggyand need to be updated once they are updated this will hopefully be fixed. I'm having this problem with ut2004

Heinekev

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
My suggestion (and what has worked for others) is to install the Omega ATI drivers rather than use the apple video drivers in Windows.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
BF2142 runs awesome on my rig.

Make sure you update the video drivers to ATI Catalyst 7.9 or Beta 8.0, runs awesome at full settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.