Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macandal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Is there a difference—besides the materials—between the ss and the aluminum watch? Is one more durable than the other, lighter, etc? I’m going to get an Apple Watch but I can’t decide between these two. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is there a difference—besides the materials—between the ss and the aluminum watch? Is one more durable than the other, lighter, etc? I’m going to get an Apple Watch but I can’t decide between these two. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

The 316 L stainless steel is a fairly hard metal, but it has a high shine and luster to it, but its casing does scratch relatively easy. However, the scratches can be removed with a buffing cloth. The stainless steel Apple Watch also has a sapphire display, which is highly scratch resistant and almost impervious to damage.

The 7000 series aluminum used on the sport watch, is 40% lighter than the stainless steel Apple Watch and is anodized. It's fairly scratch resistant and holds up fairly well. The dislay is known as Ion-X Glass, which is very similar to an iPhone dispay.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPack

macandal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Considering that this will be my first watch, do you think I should start out “small” and get the less expensive watch (i.e., aluminum) and upgrade once o know I like it on the next version?

Thanks.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Considering that this will be my first watch, do you think I should start out “small” and get the less expensive watch (i.e., aluminum) and upgrade once o know I like it on the next version?

Thanks.

If this is your first Apple Watch, I would perhaps try the sport model and you would have 14 days to return it. If you like it, then obviously you can keep it or upgrade if you want the more premium stainless model.

Reactions: charlyee

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
6 scratches in just over a week...tho I have banged it a few times on walls...drywalls tho, not anything metal or sharp. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.