Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 17, 2017
I wasn't able to find this information anywere for Mac users (a lot of tips for Windows). After a little research, I've found the following solution works to always launch Chromium-based browsers in Incognito Mode. This is useful in a shared environment or where the user doesn't want the browser to store browsing history and other data.

Launch Terminal.app and paste in the following command:
Code:
cd /Applications/Iridium.app/Contents/MacOS/ && mv -i Iridium IridiumBin && echo "/Applications/Iridium.app/Contents/MacOS/IridiumBin --incognito" > Iridium && chmod a+x Iridium

(Replace "Iridium" with another browser name like "Chrome" where appropriate - I opted to use Iridium as a more privacy based browser of choice)

The next time the browser launches it will be in Incognito mode by default.

Note: You will need to repeat this after an update. If running the Terminal command asks you to overwrite, then the "patch" is already applied, so choose "n" to NOT overwrite, otherwise your browser will be broken and will require reinstallation.

To undo, returning to standard mode;
Code:
cd /Applications/Iridium.app/Contents/MacOS/ && mv IridiumBin IridiumStd && mv Iridium IridiumIncog && mv IridiumStd Iridium && rm IridiumIncog
(There are a few added `mv` operations in there to prevent messing up a non-modified installation)

-AphoticD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.