Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Hi All,

I definitely did search this topic, but the threads were from 2022 for the most part, and we had some software updates since then.

At any rate, I really wanted to use the AOD as a nightstand clock for the night time. I know I could use an alarm clock or similar, but I also would not mind seeing if I have any notifications if I can't fall back asleep.

The AOD seems to have a mind of it's own, and just recently I did a software update to the latest and it seems to have gotten worse. After just 1 minute of charging when it is bedtime, the screen fully turns off!

I do not have sleep focus on, or low battery mode etc. I think it has something to do with being dark in the room or lack of movement.... but that begs the question, why turn off if I want it to be on! It is not bright or intrusive.

Either way I was curious if over the past several months, and software updates if anybody has found a fix for this or maybe even some sort of tweak/hack if that is even allowed to be discussed here.

Thank you in advance!

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Ive had my 14 pro max for over a month now. I could never get the always on display to work, especially at night in darker rooms. I decided to just disable it and been saving some battery with it off. Hopefully iOS 17 will fix it.

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
Hi All,

I definitely did search this topic, but the threads were from 2022 for the most part, and we had some software updates since then.

At any rate, I really wanted to use the AOD as a nightstand clock for the night time. I know I could use an alarm clock or similar, but I also would not mind seeing if I have any notifications if I can't fall back asleep.

The AOD seems to have a mind of it's own, and just recently I did a software update to the latest and it seems to have gotten worse. After just 1 minute of charging when it is bedtime, the screen fully turns off!

I do not have sleep focus on, or low battery mode etc. I think it has something to do with being dark in the room or lack of movement.... but that begs the question, why turn off if I want it to be on! It is not bright or intrusive.

Either way I was curious if over the past several months, and software updates if anybody has found a fix for this or maybe even some sort of tweak/hack if that is even allowed to be discussed here.

Thank you in advance!
I don’t use the AOD but standby mode is coming with iOS 17! That mode would be a great for a nightstand clock. Works really well on the beta

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
I don’t use the AOD but standby mode is coming with iOS 17! That mode would be a great for a nightstand clock. Works really well on the beta
That is actually great news. I can get myself the BETA that is public, should I go for it? Is it stable?

Edit- does standby mode also show notifications? I would love that :)

Last edited:

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
That is actually great news. I can get myself the BETA that is public, should I go for it? Is it stable?

Edit- does standby mode also show notifications? I would love that :)

This Macrumors article may help you:

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
This Macrumors article may help you:

Thank you- from what I see notifications do pop up, but only for a second or two..... I prefer the always on screen so I can get a glance of a few notifications that I have at any given time.

Either way, ios17 does not keep "always on" mode on, which is annoying to say the least. What's funny is that if I left my phone off the charger all night, the AOD stays on all night.

Go figures

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I have asked about this in Reddit and youtube. They say on the 14 pro models when in stand by mode detect any movement then the clock will come on. For other iPhones you have to tap the screen.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I have asked about this in Reddit and youtube. They say on the 14 pro models when in stand by mode detect any movement then the clock will come on. For other iPhones you have to tap the screen.

I think the movement will work the same as the Apple Watch. I charge mine on a bedside table and when I push the table gentle or tap on it so it moves just a little, the watch nightstand mode activates.

psp123

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
I'm very disappointed this has not been fixed yet. It was working fine until the December update.

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
I am not sure about the movement thing, I tried walking past the phone and nothing happened. Oddly enough when the display was off, I needed something from my drawer and closed it a bit hard and then the screen turned on. So not sure if movement means walking by, or actually lifting or shaking the phone.

jealousguy86

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
My 14pro does this basically every night. Always on display turns off, doesn't matter if the room is light or dark. Drives me crazy that they haven't fixed this.

Reactions: moldy lunchbox

psp123

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
Still no improvement for me.
I wonder if it will work on iPhone 15 Pro.

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Still no improvement for me.
I wonder if it will work on iPhone 15 Pro.
At this point I am not confident, it is more of a software thing... early ios 16 worked much better... then they killed it

My 14pro does this basically every night. Always on display turns off, doesn't matter if the room is light or dark. Drives me crazy that they haven't fixed this.
Same here, I do not understand the thinking. What kind of battery savings is done by turning off the AOD during the night time... it is seems so silly. why not have a toggle for on, off, or battery saving mode... boggles the mind

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
The answer is no.
Standby mode doesn’t even stay on all night. It’s the ios17 feature I was looking forward to the most and it’s been a massive letdown. I don’t want to have to wave my hand in front of my phone while I’m half asleep, I want to look over at it and see what time it is and go back to sleep. It’s a feature that should have been included with the introduction of the AOD.

• Sad
Reactions: moldy lunchbox

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Standby mode doesn’t even stay on all night. It’s the ios17 feature I was looking forward to the most and it’s been a massive letdown. I don’t want to have to wave my hand in front of my phone while I’m half asleep, I want to look over at it and see what time it is and go back to sleep. It’s a feature that should have been included with the introduction of the AOD.
I gave up on AOD (during the night, as a clock) and I surely do not imagine standby mode would have been the solution either. Apple should just have a feature to have it fully on, or on auto mode to save battery. As is, I find it ridiculous that it would not stay on all night even if plugged in.

I just deal with it, but once I tried just leaving the notification center open and have the lowest lighting as possible (along with screen turned to never lock automatically) that worked, but I would not do it for any extended amount of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.