Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGeeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Trying to find a solid answer online & no one seems to know for sure if the Always On Display feature will be available for the 13 PRO MAX?

This phone is perfectly capable of doing it. This is a feature I have been wanting for a very long time. I HATE having to walk across an entire room to tap my screen to see what my notifications are.

It’ll be very slimy of apple to not include that feature on this $1K+ device that’s not even 1 year old yet & is more than capable of doing it.

Maybe I’m missing something here?

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
1) it won't.

2) how are you even seeing your notifications from "all the way across a room" for that to be an issue? If your room is small enough that you can see your notifications, you don't need to be walking all the way across it to activate your phone screen. You can probably just lean.

3) you've tagged this iPhone 8.

iGeeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
1) it won't.

2) how are you even seeing your notifications from "all the way across a room" for that to be an issue? If your room is small enough that you can see your notifications, you don't need to be walking all the way across it to activate your phone screen. You can probably just lean.

3) you've tagged this iPhone 8.
If my phone is across a counter & my hands are tied ( like doing dishes, cooking ) I should be able to see my notifications without having to touch it.

It didn’t give me an option for anything else.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Apple is using it as a selling point for the 14 Pro line. If they didn’t choose to include it with the regular 14, they certainly aren’t going to offer it to a 13 Pro.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
It is a little naughty from Apple IMO as the 13 pro and pro max are quite capable of running an always on display

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
While technically the 13 Pro could do it, it would use more energy for it.

The lowest it can go is a 10Hz refresh rate, while the 14 Pro can go as low as 1Hz (which is the same as the Apple Watch AOD)

Don't know how much of a difference it would make though.

Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins

ediks

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2015
Apple is using it as a selling point for the 14 Pro line. If they didn’t choose to include it with the regular 14, they certainly aren’t going to offer it to a 13 Pro.
14 doesnt have LTPO display like 13 Pro and 14 Pro so that was expected

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
The 13 pro is still variable refresh rate I am sure it would be fine.

Android phones have been doing an AOD with minimal battery impactc since long before variable refresh rate screens were a thing, LG even did it on an LCD.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
The 13 pro is still variable refresh rate I am sure it would be fine.

Android phones have been doing an AOD with minimal battery impactc since long before variable refresh rate screens were a thing, LG even did it on an LCD.

Yes, but they only used small parts of the screen for it. To show just the time or an icon or something. The 14 Pro is basically showing the whole lock screen, but dimmed.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It is a little naughty from Apple IMO as the 13 pro and pro max are quite capable of running an always on display
And my G4 PowerBooks and G5 PowerMacs are capable of running iTunes 10.6.4 and syncing with iPhones that use lightning cables. But Apple specifically removed those hooks for PowerPC Macs with the launch of the iPhone 5 - making 10.6.4 and above Intel only.

And the iBooks (G3/G4) are capable of running dual displays, Apple just disabled that so they'd sell more PowerBook G4s.

I'm quite certain others here can cite other examples of Apple being 'naughty'.

Not the first time Apple's been 'naughty' to drive sales to the newer/more expensive product.

Won't be the last.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It’ll be very slimy of apple to not include that feature on this $1K+ device that’s not even 1 year old yet & is more than capable of doing it.
You might want to get used to that. Apple has always done stuff like this. For Apple, it's always about the newest device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.