Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you set yours?

• Off

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • On - time only

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • On - time + wallpaper

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • On - time + notifications

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • On - time + wallpaper + notifications

Votes: 27 29.7%

• Total voters

cman-uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Keen to understand whether people have kept theirs on after 'testing' the impact to battery life.

Refer to poll and vote! :D

Reactions: AdamInKent

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
I prefer it off as I kept thinking I received a notification when seeing the screen on. Also, I just don’t see the benefit like I do with my watch. Furthermore, the battery draw is not inconsequential as I believe it was reported to discharge about 1% battery per hour.

Reactions: cman-uk

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I voted off, but I actually would leave it on if I was convinced it would not result in image retention. I tend to keep my iPhones 2-3 year each. Also, when I place them on a table, I leave them face up, so the AOD would be on all "always" ;). I know myself well enough to know how retention would bug me.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Everything on... YOLO!!!!

I do however have an automation that turns it off when charging... Since its right next to my head on my night stand.

mikext

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I prefer it off as I kept thinking I received a notification when seeing the screen on. Also, I just don’t see the benefit like I do with my watch. Furthermore, the battery draw is not inconsequential as I believe it was reported to discharge about 1% battery per hour.
This. A coworker I always eat lunch with uses always on display and my eyes are drawn to his screen like a moth to a flame. I find it very distracting.

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I leave it all on, and recognize I’m using battery for it. Sleep focus turns the display off automatically at bedtime for while I’m sleeping and on automatically when I wake up. If I want to save battery during the day or don’t care about seeing stuff on the screen, I lay it down screen down which causes the screen to turn off. If I’m trying to really stretch the battery (Disney World or something), I’ll use the control center quick toggle for low power mode which turns off background polling and the screen.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
My face stays face down when I'm not actively using it, without exception.

Always-on screens would serve me no purpose.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
I've tried it all off, I've tried it all on...dont see any difference in battery life...so i just have AOD on, notifs on, no wall.

Zaydax333

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
I turned off wallpaper and notifications. Thankfully now playing and timer notifications still persist which is exactly the way I wanted it.

Not sure it makes that much of a difference over the fully enabled options, but I'd like to think it does 😂

Doesn't seem to make a difference compared to when it's off though.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
It's on for me with time and notifications enabled and I shut off "Raise to wake" as I hate the glare when I pick up the phone at night. The AOD for time is just the right amount of lumens to check the time at night.
I usually keep the phone face down as well.

DarkHorsed

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Elm Springs, AR
Came from a 14 Pro Max to a 15 Pro Max, so I’ve been with the Always on Display for a little over a year. If I find my display completely dark, something is wrong. I mostly leave all the default settings on that comes when I first boot up the phone.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
When I first got it, I was tempted to do all on except wallpaper. I was curious to try out the default experience though, so I left everything on, including wallpaper, to test it out. And it's great! It took a couple days but I quickly got used to it and now enjoy having the AoD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.