Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
My battery was draining very quickly today, and upon inspecting what might be wrong, I noticed that the 1hz always on display doesn't seem to be working?

All that happens if I don't use the display is that it dims and hides "sensitive information".

I tried reseting the watch to factory settings, but I still never see the 1hz display.

I have double-checked the settings about always-on display. If I enable it it, it dims the display. If I disable it, the display turns black like on previous watches.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Any solution except taking it into an Store?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Unless I’m missing something, what you’ve described is exactly what’s meant to happen. When it dims it’s working at 1hz

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Unless I’m missing something, what you’ve described is exactly what’s meant to happen. When it dims it’s working at 1hz
Woah I feel so stupid.
Maybe I changed watch face or something. But what I'm used to see (the 3 weeks I've owned it), is just a black screen with the time in the top right.

I tried to see what face that might have been, and I tried with the Siri watch face that has the time in the top right. But even with that one, the dimmed display still showed everything else on that face.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
You only see the time top-right with the black screen if there is an app currently open and then the screen dims

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Nah it is in color, which is very nice! However, a watch face with a lot of pixels lit up (not black) and lots of color will use a bit more battery than a face with only few lit up pixels. My battery life with AOD on is very good (up to two days without charging, background app refresh off), so your battery issues may have other causes. Let‘s hope watchOS 6.1 fixes those issues.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Nah it is in color, which is very nice! However, a watch face with a lot of pixels lit up (not black) and lots of color will use a bit more battery than a face with only few lit up pixels. My battery life with AOD on is very good (up to two days without charging, background app refresh off), so your battery issues may have other causes. Let‘s hope watchOS 6.1 fixes those issues.
Disabling background app refresh sounds smart. On iOS there's apps like Twitter and Facebook where you can notice if you turn it off (takes a bit to reload your news stream), but most of these apps don't even exist on watchOS. Most apps on the watch seems to be utilities rather than having a stream on news, so background app refresh seems pretty unnecessary. Although if most are utilities I also doubt many apps actually update in the background?

Anything else you actively do to preserve battery? Settings? Watch face? Apps you avoid?

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
I have disabled raise to wake, because with AOD I use it like a normal watch. If I want to use the smartwatch functionality, I tap the display. I guess this is personal preference and there is also a bug in watchOS that the waking is sometimes laggy, but this helps battery life as well. Other than that, no special things.

Reactions: johannnn

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I have disabled raise to wake, because with AOD I use it like a normal watch. If I want to use the smartwatch functionality, I tap the display.
This works great for me when I'm indoors, but the AOD is impossible to see outdoors. Even the normal display is quite weak outdoors, I wish Series 6 gets more bright..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.