Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSLML

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Hi, I know that you can open a folder in a new window either via the context menu or by holding down the Cmd key when double-clicking. Or hide the toolbar of any windows. But, I would like to bypass these steps so that a double-click always opens a new window, as used in the past. I still haven't really gotten used to the current behavior and keep closing windows by mistake instead of going back with the arrow.

Is there a tweak for this, e.g. a command line command or a tool that changes this functionality? It should be possible, as the system can obviously do this in principle. And if you look at all the other tweaks available (Onyx, Right Zoom, AltTab, BTT, Show Desktop, XtraFinder... etc.), this should be a piece of cake for experienced macOS experts.

Thank you for your hints!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Which OS version are you using?

The setting should be in Finder Settings:

In the General setting, do you see "Open folders in tabs instead of new windows"?
What state is it?

In older OS versions, the Finder > Settings menu-item is named "Preferences" instead of "Settings". Otherwise it should be similar.

MrSLML

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
It's not that what I mean. This setting only affects the behavior in relation to the commands I mentioned, either in the context menu or command double-click. I want each folder to open a new window when double-clicked without having to do anything else. Just like it was normal in older systems.
I'm on Mojave right now.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
But, I would like to bypass these steps so that a double-click always opens a new window, as used in the past.

Sorry, I'm not aware of any way to always open a folder in a new window via double-click (save for disabling the toolbar, which you're already aware of anyway). But I'm also not sure it was possible in the past... Unless it was so long ago I don't even remember by now?

Reactions: gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Since you mention Better Touch Tool, you can create a custom gesture to open a folder in a new window.
SCR-20240303-izui-2.png

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Snow Leopard has the option:
Snow Leopard has the option:

I see. That's indeed was long time ago before the tabs were introduced. Then the options changed.

(I remember looking forward for the introduction of Finder tabs. However, after trying to use them, I found them to be totally counter-productive in the Finder for my way of work. I always disable them. Tabs usability is really not universal. For example, I always use tabs in InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Illustrator - but never in Photoshop. Yes, I know you didn't ask about it.)

Anyway, I guess Apple decided that while they removed the option you're looking for, Cmd-double-click still always opens a folder in a new window (as you know anyway), so this function didn't go away. I do feel your pain if you got used to open them with just a double-click without modifiers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.