Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fallen_leaf1308

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2023
Hey! So I have a 2021 14" MacBook Pro and it has a UK top case.
I was wondering if I ordered a top case with a US keyboard could I just swap it over or would I run into compatibility issues?

I am quite experienced in repairs like this and have an eBay shop where I buy a ton of stuff to fix and sell on so I know what im doing.
I used and grew up with the US ANSI keyboard my whole life and ive gave the UK one a chance but I just can't get used to the goofy return key and the shorter shift key on the left, I always mistype and my sentences normally end up like this\

I am not concerned about the physical fit of the US top case as I know it fits perfect, I was just wondering if the logic board is programmed to the UK layout and will be unable to use the US layout or something like that?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Interesting question.
I tried switching input source in keyboard preferences from US to British keyboard in my 14" MPB, and it made no difference to the key layout, which doesn't mean much. This just changes how the keys are interpreted, not the keyboard layout which is a hardware property.
Under Hardware > SPI my 14" MBP with US keyboard shows:

Image 1-7-23 at 6.02 PM.jpg

fallen_leaf1308

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2023
Interesting question.
I tried switching input source in keyboard preferences from US to British keyboard in my 14" MPB, and it made no difference to the key layout, which doesn't mean much. This just changes how the keys are interpreted, not the keyboard layout which is a hardware property.
Under Hardware > SPI my 14" MBP with US keyboard shows:

View attachment 2138792
Yeah, I was wondering about if the key mapping would be affected.
Thanks!!

VivienM

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2022
Toronto, ON
Can you order a MacBook with US keyboard in the UK? I know here in Canada, we can get US English, Canadian French, Arabic, French (I presume that means full AZERTY like in mainland France), Spanish (Latin America) and two Chinese options on our MacBooks.

(Here is my thinking: given the top cover includes the battery, etc, you're probably better off cost-wise on such a new machine to just buy a US keyboard one if you can and sell your UK keyboard model?)

fallen_leaf1308

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2023
Can you order a MacBook with US keyboard in the UK? I know here in Canada, we can get US English, Canadian French, Arabic, French (I presume that means full AZERTY like in mainland France), Spanish (Latin America) and two Chinese options on our MacBooks.

(Here is my thinking: given the top cover includes the battery, etc, you're probably better off cost-wise on such a new machine to just buy a US keyboard one if you can and sell your UK keyboard model?)
I would but the models in the UK are not on discount like they are in America. They're not at 1500 for us they are 1900 everywhere. I brought this one from the apple refurbished store to save money and there is no option to change the keyboard on that.

What ive done is ordered a top case from America and it is currently on a plane to the UK as im typing this. I will then fit it and sell my UK top case. I also got the US top case for crazy cheap. 100 bucks. So I could even make profit by selling off my old UK top case which is brand new as the machine is less than 2 weeks old.

I would have brought it with as US keyboard as thats what I usually do, if it weren't for the apple refurbished store!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.