Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
adk said:
Actually, the worst example of this i've ever seen was on another forum. One poster (assumedly american) was convinced that a UK poster was spelling the word "colours" wrong.

Why does this not surprise me? :p

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Actually, we had a discussion about this exact issue a while back iirc. Like how UK members were complaining about the spelling of "rumors" on the front page. It's only a few different words anyway. Just think of it as "visible evolution" of a language.

I for one have never had problems except where I had not encountered a word before. If it weren't for these forums, I wouldn't know half the British insults I do.

Back on topic, I would say if you can pay, you shouldn't P2P.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well BitTorrent is a program used to send big files pretty easily without huge bandwidth issues. The program itself is legal, what you choose to download using it may be illegal. For instance you can use BitTorrent to download a patch for a video game you own which would be 100% legal. But, if you use BitTorrent to download a copyrighted music or video file that would be illegal. You can get caught by downloading illegal files, I'm not just saying that to scare you but, yes, I did get a letter from my ISP with a list of a game I downloaded, it was a dumb thing to do and I learned my lesson.

Think before you do something, if it's something as silly as downloading a CD, just go to the store or online and buy it, it's not worth the risk of getting tangled up with the RIAA, MPAA, etc...

Summary: BitTorrent is legal, but the files you download from it can be illegal. Just be smart about it and you'll be fine. :D

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
adk said:
Actually, the worst example of this i've ever seen was on another forum. One poster (assumedly american) was convinced that a UK poster was spelling the word "colours" wrong.

But not our dear shrink Fraiser.

:)

Can't remember the quote, but he was pleading with Daphne about something.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Well I'm not completely sure of the anti piracy law i the US/UK, but in Denmark you can download everything you want if you just make sure you have the orignal product and you don't give access to other downloaders. Same goes with copying. If you share, and get caught that is, you'll get fined not jailed. But the amount you have to pay is insane. Especially if you share. Then the amount get at least quadrupled.

It used to be legal for the Danish public to copy CD/DVD's from the public library. Still think it's legal. How about the US/UK, same rules?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.