Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2023
I’ve noticed a change to Apple Trade-In policies in Canada. In the past, when I received a trade-in refund, it consisted of the promised trade-in value plus tax. The effect was that I only paid tax on the net cost of the device, not the full retail price.

This year I only received the promised trade-in value, meaning that I paid tax on the full cost of the device. I spoke with several people at Apple, and no one was able to provide an explanation of this change.

Here is an example, using round numbers and a figure of 10% sales tax.

In the past, the process looked like this:
  • If a new iPhone cost $1000, and my trade-in was valued at $500, I paid $1100 up front ($1000 plus 10% tax). When the trade-in was processed, I received $550 in refund ($500 plus 10% tax). My net cost was $550.
This year, it worked like this:
  • If a new iPhone cost $1000, and my trade-in was valued at $500, I paid $1100 up front ($1000 plus 10% tax). When the trade-in was processed, I received $500 in refund. My net cost was $600.
Has anyone else experienced this? Does the process work the same for an in-store trade in?

I’m curious about this because I’m pretty sure that Canadian tax law only allows retailers to charge tax on the net value after trade-in.

Thanks for your help!

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
We're all being overtaxed by everyone.

Honestly. I never heard of anything where you didn't pay the full tax on the cost of something - trade-in or no trade-in. Maybe that was a Canada thing though. In the US, the gub'mint never misses an opportunity to tax you.

Reactions: Sully

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
I’ve noticed a change to Apple Trade-In policies in Canada. In the past, when I received a trade-in refund, it consisted of the promised trade-in value plus tax. The effect was that I only paid tax on the net cost of the device, not the full retail price.

This year I only received the promised trade-in value, meaning that I paid tax on the full cost of the device. I spoke with several people at Apple, and no one was able to provide an explanation of this change.

• If a new iPhone cost $1000, and my trade-in was valued at $500, I paid $1100 up front ($1000 plus 10% tax). When the trade-in was processed, I received $550 in refund ($500 plus 10% tax). My net cost was $550.
  • If a new iPhone cost $1000, and my trade-in was valued at $500, I paid $1100 up front ($1000 plus 10% tax). When the trade-in was processed, I received $500 in refund. My net cost was $600.
Has anyone else experienced this? Does the process work the same for an in-store trade in?

I’m curious about this because I’m pretty sure that Canadian tax law only allows retailers to charge tax on the net value after trade-in.

Thanks for your help!
Since this is a GST/PST/HST issue, your question is better posed to CRA or your province's tax authority.

canapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2023
Thanks for the responses. The main thing that I’m focused on is how Apple has changed its practice. The last time I did a trade-in (in 2021) the tax was refunded by Apple.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
We're all being overtaxed by everyone.

Honestly. I never heard of anything where you didn't pay the full tax on the cost of something - trade-in or no trade-in. Maybe that was a Canada thing though. In the US, the gub'mint never misses an opportunity to tax you.
Trading in a car at time of purchase of a new one in many (most?) states is such that you only pay tax on the difference

Reactions: canapple

cousintim

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2015
Trading in a car at time of purchase of a new one in many (most?) states is such that you only pay tax on the difference
First, the dude is in Canada, so that is why I directed him to the Canadian tax jurisdictions. Second, the tax treatment of trade-in phones varies by state. For example, in California, "The value of a trade-in accepted on the purchase of a mobile phone, tablet, or other wireless device is taxable."

r.d

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2007
Etobicoke, ON
I have been wondering this same thing. I traded in my 14 Pro Max this year and only received the promised trade-in value, without the tax.

In Canada, per CRA tax laws, transactions where a trade-in is applied should be charged tax on the net value, regardless if it's a car or a phone, as long as it's in the same transaction.

CRA - TRADE-IN APPROACH

I have done trade-ins with Apple in the past, with the latest one before the iPhone 15 being in 2022 with a MacBook Pro purchase/trade-in, and I did receive the trade-in amount plus tax as a refund. I went back into my transactions to verify this. Also did an iPhone trade-in in 2021 and the tax treatment was correct.

I understand that different jurisdictions around the world have different tax treatment on trade-ins. But as far as I know, in Canada, you should only be charged tax on the net amount. I thought maybe something changed recently, but I have not been able to find any documentation anywhere (i.e. if certain products are excluded). I work in Finance so I'm quite close with this kind of stuff.

Contacting Apple is useless, as their customer service has gone downhill lately, and their agents are in Texas which have no knowledge of Canadian tax laws.

I will be reporting a claim to CRA for suspected tax cheating. I recommend you do the same!
Reporting suspected tax or benefit cheating in Canada

Just found Apple Canada corporate details. Might give this number a call when I have some time:
Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 20.56.42.png

Reactions: canapple

canapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2023
I have been wondering this same thing. I traded in my 14 Pro Max this year and only received the promised trade-in value, without the tax.

In Canada, per CRA tax laws, transactions where a trade-in is applied should be charged tax on the net value, regardless if it's a car or a phone, as long as it's in the same transaction.

CRA - TRADE-IN APPROACH

I have done trade-ins with Apple in the past, with the latest one before the iPhone 15 being in 2022 with a MacBook Pro purchase/trade-in, and I did receive the trade-in amount plus tax as a refund. I went back into my transactions to verify this. Also did an iPhone trade-in in 2021 and the tax treatment was correct.

I understand that different jurisdictions around the world have different tax treatment on trade-ins. But as far as I know, in Canada, you should only be charged tax on the net amount. I thought maybe something changed recently, but I have not been able to find any documentation anywhere (i.e. if certain products are excluded). I work in Finance so I'm quite close with this kind of stuff.

Contacting Apple is useless, as their customer service has gone downhill lately, and their agents are in Texas which have no knowledge of Canadian tax laws.

I will be reporting a claim to CRA for suspected tax cheating. I recommend you do the same!
Reporting suspected tax or benefit cheating in Canada

Just found Apple Canada corporate details. Might give this number a call when I have some time:
View attachment 2292141
Thanks for adding your story. I’m glad to know I’m not alone! I will follow up along the lines you suggest.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023

Thanks for your help!
That was pretty much what I experienced during in-store trade in. Make sense to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.