Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
I was ready to Pre-Order an 8+ 256gb when someone mentioned the Iphone SE was available with 128gb and everything the 6S has in a smaller size.

My thinking is buy something cheaper right now and wait to see what Apple offers next September. Unfortunately my 6 is out of space so I need to upgrade but it seems 256gb would be too much. The 7 is also an option but is a bit more expensive.

Has anyone downgraded all the way down to an SE without regrets? I lived my Iphone 5 when I had it. Thanks!

Last edited:

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
No, the SE has the same internals as the 6S.

And OP, there are so many threads about this already, even from the last 24 hours.

I went from a 6S to the SE a year ago and I love it. It's the best phone I've ever owned.

Thanks! Yeah I should have searched first, just got caught up. I am going to go ahead and added it my plan replacing my daughters iPhone 4. I'll use it for a couple of weeks in place of my 6 and see how it goes. Thanks!

Reactions: yep-sure

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Yes, the SE is identical to the 6s in every way except:

SE / 6s
— / 3D touch (which you don't have with the 6 anyway)

FaceTime (front) Camera:
1.2MP / 5.0MP
ƒ/2.4 aperture / ƒ/2.2 aperture

802.11ac Wi‑Fi / 802.11ac Wi‑Fi w/MIMO

and, (as if you care)
— / barometer

*{EDIT:
Touch ID:
1st Gen (slow)/2nd Gen (fast)}

The main thing will be going back to the smaller screen size. I know when I got my 6, then looking at my old 5, the thing seemed tiny.

Anyway, you will notice it being a bit more responsive/faster than your 6, I certainly noticed this going from 6 to 6s. I went from 6 to 6s only because the 6s (and the SE), added 700MHz LTE bands, which was how t-mo was building out their LTE, so, having switched to t-mo, with some less than 3G cell areas, I had to upgrade.

I'm holding on to my current iPhone (jet black 7+) until Apple adds 600MHz bands (new bands that go through walls and such even better than 700MHz...T-mo is buying and beginning to implement these bands now.). I'm on the fence about face ID. But, anyone with 6s or older iPhone may find an 8/8+ a big upgrade and decent value with the memory upgrades. I think it will take a while for the component suppliers to get up to speed producing the new X, with that new OLED and sensors.

So, if you can deal with the smaller size, go for it, next year they may have 2 new OLED models based on the X design? (And the X will likely have a price drop).

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

Nic727

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
Funny to see how much thread there is about the SE since the Apple event. I think that they would have sell more iPhone if it was a SE 2 instead of 8.

I think I will wait for March 2018 before buying anything just to see if they will release a 8 Mini or SE 2.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Funny to see how much thread there is about the SE since the Apple event. I think that they would have sell more iPhone if it was a SE 2 instead of 8.

I think I will wait for March 2018 before buying anything just to see if they will release a 8 Mini or SE 2.
Don't hold your breath, they won't do anything to the SE, just like they won't to the 6s. If they decide to keep the 4" form factor after they dump the 6s, then maybe they will give the SE an update. Once Apple dumps A9 devices from their product lineup, that is the time the SE will either be killed or updated. For now, they dropped the price by $50, that's all it gets. In a year we may see two OLED iPhones based on the X, drop the 6s from the lineup, maybe keep the SE as is until March 2019?

The 6th gen. iPod touch is the last iPod touch we'll ever see. Next move they might drop the 32GB option, drop the 128GB into base price slot for it's last leg of sales, no updates.

I noticed this year, with iOS 11 coming, all iOS devices start with 32GB, no more 16GB base (finally).

Reactions: rui no onna

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Agreed. I would say between March 2018 and June 2018 during WWDC, the iPhone SE might be updated again. I Don't think it will be anything major, but enough to keep it refreshed and have some capabilities from the other iPhone 7 features.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I'm thinking of going 128GB 6S -> 128GB SE. Main thing that's holding me back is that I found the 1st gen Touch ID in the 6 to be annoyingly slow, and found the 2nd gen Touch ID in the 6S to be fine. Maybe my 6 never quite got my fingerprint read right -- I don't hear people complain about this.

There's a number of things lacking in the SE, but the slower Touch ID is the one thing giving me pause in going with the SE.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I'm thinking of going 128GB 6S -> 128GB SE. Main thing that's holding me back is that I found the 1st gen Touch ID in the 6 to be annoyingly slow, and found the 2nd gen Touch ID in the 6S to be fine. Maybe my 6 never quite got my fingerprint read right -- I don't hear people complain about this.

There's a number of things lacking in the SE, but the slower Touch ID is the one thing giving me pause in going with the SE.
If you found the Touch ID in the 6 to be annoyingly slow, skip the SE, it has the same 1st Gen. Touch ID as the 6. I say this because when I went to the 6s from the 6, and then to my iPad Mini 4 w/1st Gen. Touch ID, it seemed to take forever to open my iPad.

Touch ID hint: make two of the finger you use the most to open your iPhone...one normally, one with a damp finger/thumb...just after shower or washing hands. It won't make it work when wet or if sensor is dirty/oily, but, it does seem to help it recognize that finger faster.​

Did you see my comment #5 above? There really isn't much different, the 6s and SE share most of the same tech, nearly identical, so, why go to the SE? You want a smaller form factor?
[doublepost=1505422815][/doublepost]Check this to see how the SE stacks up to the 6s, 7 & 8: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-comparison-charts.2067333/

(You used to be able to click on "Compare" in Apple's iPhone section and see all iPhones features next to each other, now they have 8 iPhones, so, they changed it, you can only compare up to 3 at once. I have made two charts, one for the non-plus models, one for the plus models with the X.)

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
Put the guts of the 7 in the SE and I may jump. Would love to have some pocket space back.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
If you found the Touch ID in the 6 to be annoyingly slow, skip the SE, it has the same 1st Gen. Touch ID as the 6. I say this because when I went to the 6s from the 6, and then to my iPad Mini 4 w/1st Gen. Touch ID, it seemed to take forever to open my iPad.

Touch ID hint: make two of the finger you use the most to open your iPhone...one normally, one with a damp finger/thumb...just after shower or washing hands. It won't make it work when wet or if sensor is dirty/oily, but, it does seem to help it recognize that finger faster.​

Did you see my comment #5 above? There really isn't much different, the 6s and SE share most of the same tech, nearly identical, so, why go to the SE? You want a smaller form factor?

Thanks, I might test out the moist hand trick with a 5S I have.

Yeah, I like the smaller size and wasn't very happy going 4S to the 6. If I had known the SE was coming I would've gone 5S instead at that time and waited for the SE.

Now I'm used to 2nd gen Touch ID and 3D Touch so not sure if I want to give those up.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I’ve had the iPhone 3G, 4, 5, 6, 6S, and 7...

...and I’m ready to downgrade to the SE. Gonna miss 3D Touch and the nicer front camera and the stereo speakers, but that SE form factor is so great.

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
I upgraded to the SE from the 6 as soon as it came out. Zero regrets. I don't even care if it lags a bit behind the latest big screen models, I will always prefer a phone of this size to one of those monstrous alternatives. If you know you prefer a smaller form factor then trust that feeling and go for it.

I was ready to Pre-Order an 8+ 256gb when someone mentioned the Iphone SE was available with 128gb and everything the 6S has in a smaller size.

My thinking is buy something cheaper right now and wait to see what Apple offers next September. Unfortunately my 6 is out of space so I need to upgrade but it seems 256gb would be too much. The 7 is also an option but is a bit more expensive.

Has anyone downgraded all the way down to an SE without regrets? I lived my Iphone 5 when I had it. Thanks!
upgraded

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
My oldest son has the SE, and on some level whenever I pick it up I’m mildly envious.

The feel is so svelte. It reminds me of the Steve Jobs era of iPhones.

Hopefully Apple keeps it around and updates it at least once every 18 months.

Reactions: cecil444

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Put the guts of the 7 in the SE and I may jump. Would love to have some pocket space back.

That's likely what might happen for the next iPhone SE upgrade, if one does happen. Is they will take some of the iPhone 7 internals and place them into the iPhone SE and with some slight physical revamping to go along with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.