Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
I currently have the blue Titanium 15 pro. I have another phone sitting around and AT&T is offering the 15 pro for free with trade in. I’m thinking about trading that phone in and getting a Natural Ti since I’ve wanted a different color. It’s free so it would just sit there for 3 years until it’s paid off, and can be used as a backup eventually and I can switch colors if I get bored.

has anyone done this? Am I crazy?

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Yes.

You can't see the colour when you're using it so what's the point if you've already got one

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Am I crazy?
Is it what you want to do?

For a time I carried two 17" laptops in one bag because I wanted to. Am I crazy? I carry two iPhones out in public from time to time because I want to. And both are personal phones. Am I crazy?

I'm typing this on a 2009 MacPro running Mojave. It's got 8 displays connected to it, including two 30" Aluminum Cinema Displays. Am I crazy?

On my desk in front of me I have nine phones, another phone and an iPad are off to the right. In my immediate area are six computers on and functioning. In the garage are approximately 10+ Macs, two of which are on and functioning. Am I crazy?

My point is, it only matters what you want and what you think. I don't care what others think is crazy or not. I do it because I want to. I don't have to justify anything to anyone other than my wife.

Do what you want, who cares if other people think it's crazy.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
The house never loses - nothing is truly free… Read the fine print.

BTW: You said this yourself - “It’s free so it would just sit there for 3 years until it’s paid off”. It’s “free” until it’s paid off?

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
The house never loses - nothing is truly free… Read the fine print.

BTW: You said this yourself - “It’s free so it would just sit there for 3 years until it’s paid off”. It’s “free” until it’s paid off?
Well I should’ve reworded it. I wouldn’t be able to upgrade another phone for 3 years but I’m on iUP and buy my phones outright anyways. I just couldn’t sell it or anything.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I guess factor in potentially having to replace the battery after it's been sitting for three years.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
I currently have the blue Titanium 15 pro. I have another phone sitting around and AT&T is offering the 15 pro for free with trade in. I’m thinking about trading that phone in and getting a Natural Ti since I’ve wanted a different color. It’s free so it would just sit there for 3 years until it’s paid off, and can be used as a backup eventually and I can switch colors if I get bored.

has anyone done this? Am I crazy?
Why not take the "free" upgrade and then sell the blue 15 Pro?

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 22.15.30.png

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Yes.

You can't see the colour when you're using it so what's the point if you've already got one

That's not true. You can see the color around the edges of the screen, as well as any time the phone is face down, even with a case.

Color does matter otherwise Apple wouldn't let you choose from colors.

I'm going to offer probably what is an unpopular opinion.

I wouldn't use this opportunity just to trade in for a different color. While monetarily it's free, there is ecological consequence, so let's not keep refining our skills of bending to consumer desire that much. Just live with what you currently have.

This frankly isn't ideologically consistent unless you make a very conscious effort to only upgrade your phone when absolutely necessary (perhaps when your version of iOS stops getting security updates), which means you'd be on iPhone 6S until quite recently. You'd also have to avoid using electricity just for entertainment purposes.

The ecological damage done by returning an iPhone that will certainly be simply sold to someone as a refurbished device (for which there is plenty of demand) is basically just the cost of shipping the parcel. I think it would be hypocritical to view this as unacceptable unless your carbon footprint is already as minimal as it can be.

Honestly, from a moral perspective one might even argue that having an iPhone 15 Pro is a moral hazard to begin with, since an SE would do more than what you actually "need", and you'd have $1,000 or so that could be donated. Since it's estimated that it takes well under $1,000 to save a life, someone purchasing an iPhone Pro is... In a convoluted way... Placing their phone desires above the life of another human... Kind of messed up. Makes me want to sell all my tech.

Reactions: zkap

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
This frankly isn't ideologically consistent unless you make a very conscious effort to only upgrade your phone when absolutely necessary (perhaps when your version of iOS stops getting security updates), which means you'd be on iPhone 6S until quite recently. You'd also have to avoid using electricity just for entertainment purposes.
I’ll respond to this with two things:

1. I don’t presume to know what the habits of OP are, so the projection of what their habits may or may not be is unnecessary.

2. It’s also not necessary to take ideological extremes such as: can’t use electricity for entertainment.

Ideological extremism is not a requirement to build habits that are more ecologically conscious. Being ecologically minded is not an all or nothing characteristic.

Crudely put, ideological extremism results in practical absurdity.

Reactions: Duncan68

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
you're paying for a second line though
nope because I’m eligible for an upgrade. I never upgrade through my carrier and have always bought my iPhones from apple and this time is no different, so I will be able to trade in a 12 mini that I have sitting around and get 36 months of bill credits for the Natrual Ti. Granted if it lets me swap SIMs this would work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.