Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2008
You could JB your ATV2 and and install a beta-ish (or even alpha-y), buggy Plex plug-in to stream un-converted live-transcoded stuff from a Mac/PC with Plex Media Server running.

Or you could install a proper non-beta-ish Plex client from the APPSTORE:

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/plex

on your JB iDevice and, thanks to the recent AirVideoEnabler tweak available on Cydia, you could beam movies via Airplay from the iDevice running Plex to the ATV2. This saves you from JB-ing your ATV2. You still need a Mac with Plex Media Server to live-transcode videos and send them to the iDevice.

Mac [Plex Media Server] ------> iDevice [Plex from the Appstore + Cydia AirVideoEnabler] ------AIRPLAY-----> ATV2

I don't own an ATV2, this is just speculation.

Am I missing something? Has anybody already tried this?

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
You could JB your ATV2 and and install a beta-ish (or even alpha-y), buggy Plex plug-in to stream un-converted live-transcoded stuff from a Mac/PC with Plex Media Server running.

on your JB iDevice and, thanks to the recent AirVideoEnabler tweak available on Cydia, you could beam movies via Airplay from the iDevice running Plex to the ATV2. This saves you from JB-ing your ATV2. You still need a Mac with Plex Media Server to live-transcode videos and send them to the iDevice.

Mac [Plex Media Server] ------> iDevice [Plex from the Appstore + Cydia AirVideoEnabler] ------AIRPLAY-----> ATV2

That's what I thought too until I updated my ATV and installed airvideoenabler. It doesn't work as Plex app uses a custom player. I think another hack AllPlay works with Air Video but still no support for Plex. I am back to JBroken ATV with Plex on it...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002

The AirVideoEnabler is a hack that applies to all video/audio apps on your iPhone/iPad/iPod?

Has anyone tried this with their VLC app on their iPhone 4 (my preferred method for playing avi videos on my iphone)?

BlindSpoTT

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
That's what I thought too until I updated my ATV and installed airvideoenabler. It doesn't work as Plex app uses a custom player. I think another hack AllPlay works with Air Video but still no support for Plex. I am back to JBroken ATV with Plex on it...

so after you updated your atv2, is it still jailbreakable with pwnagetool 4.2.1? or did you have to downgrade it to the original FW?

BlindSpoTT

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
The AirVideoEnabler is a hack that applies to all video/audio apps on your iPhone/iPad/iPod?

Has anyone tried this with their VLC app on their iPhone 4 (my preferred method for playing avi videos on my iphone)?

no, you can not use AirVideoEnabler with VLC app. it only works on apples stock video player. VLC, and Netflix use a custom video player.

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
It won't work because Plex, just like Air Video and StremToMe, use propriatory players which are not supported by AirPlay, yet.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Well the new update for the AppleTV is only 4.1 now. The original is 4.0.

The filename is called AppleTV2,1_4.2_8C150_Restore.ipsw. So it's a version of the 4.2 firmware, which is not yet jailbreakable on the apple TV as far as I know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to jailbreak it and put plex back on! :)

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
The filename is called AppleTV2,1_4.2_8C150_Restore.ipsw. So it's a version of the 4.2 firmware, which is not yet jailbreakable on the apple TV as far as I know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to jailbreak it and put plex back on! :)

there is another thread about this in the forums....as of now there is no way to upgrade the Appletv and put plex back...have to wait for the jailbreak of the new firmware

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
Im waiting for Plex on AppleTV

I was hoping I could Airplay from Plex on my iPhone/iPad to the AppleTV as an interim measure 'till Plex on AppleTV, im a little disappointed.

Still, the full AppleTV app would obviously be preferable.
Stream from Mini to AppleTV is better than from Mini to iPhone to AppleTV.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
no, you can not use AirVideoEnabler with VLC app. it only works on apples stock video player. VLC, and Netflix use a custom video player.
For VLC it probably wouldn't work even if it was using the standard video player. VLC doesn't transcode video into H.264 (which would be needed for AirPlay to work). VLC does offer direct playback from a variety of non-iOS-native video formats/codecs but none of those will work on a stock Apple TV. So even if you could stream VLC's output it wouldn't play on the Apple TV. This is significantly different than the way video transcoders like Air Video, StreamToMe, and Plex operate (where the Mac/PC converts the video into H.264 which is then streamed to the iOS device).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.