Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you get frustrated by by all the complaining about the ports?

• YES!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, I must complain because I completely lack spatial awareness or something...

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Darajavahus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2015
I really don't understand all those people all those years complaining about the ports on the back,
it actually bothers me reading those complaints,
I have late 2012 iMac since release and it wasn't big deal for me for a second,
I have no problem at all using all those ports, and I never turned the iMac around, I plug everything at the first try,

some people have to try 3 times with usb even if the port is on the front...
Do all those people that complain are also unable so scratch theirs own back because they can't look directly at it?
Can't you also touch your nose with eyes closed?

Those ports at the front would look disgusting.
I'm sorry if that sound harsh, but it frustrates me how people live if plugging stuff is so hard for them. Sorry for my poor English.

Darajavahus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2015
I am more bothered and more frustrated by people who feel the need to start condescending threads such as this.
How else do I find out if I'm the only one, I would think that most people are fine and not bothered, but the amount of posts surprises me, that even after that many year's people keep complaining. I just made that post because some else made complaining one again. I have read hundreds of posts and comments over the years, and in nearly every review it's complained about, yet this is me FIRST TIME EVER commenting on this issue.

And I googled what "condescending" means, and in no way, I meant to be showing arrogance and superiority. Sorry for my poor English.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Ports on the back are definitely less functional than ports on the front. It is always harder to get to something that you can't see than something that you can (all other things being equal). Add to that, that I always plug USB A cables in the wrong way, even if its the right way, regardless of whether I can see the port or not. Definitely less functional.

And some people care most/solely about function.

I think having all the ports sticking out of the front would look hideous, and beauty is part of the reason *I* buy Apple products. So I don't hate having them on the back. But I can appreciate those who do, or who would appreciate having the SD card slot on the side (like it used to be), or a USB port front or bottom/top facing so it was easily accessible.

Just because it isn't a big deal for you, doesn't mean that it isn't for everyone.

Reactions: niteflyr

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I really don't understand all those people all those years complaining about the ports on the back,
You don't need to understand them. It seems some people don't like it, and that's enough for them. If you do, great, one size doesn't fit all. Everyone has a right to their opinion and if you don't like what they're saying, just read another thread.

I like the look of the iMac with the ports on the back, up until the time I need to reach around and mess with them. If someone is upset about it, why belittle them as you have in your poll?

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
You can always buy a USB extension cable and have it facing forward. Most desktops only have a couple USB ports on the front.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I have a usb hub stuck to my iMac foot.

ports in rear are ok with me.

if I did not have a hub then a side usb would be handy for quick temp things like flash drive or camera.

my biggest thing with iMac is rear mounted power button.
This I find biggest issue.

may only be my issue but my desk has things either side and shelf above so awkward to reach the power button.
The apple logo on front should have been the power button.

but rear ports for everything is fine as most users would have a hub as 3-4 ports is usually not enough USBs

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
I think you’re right openning this thread if you wish so...
I just remembered after reading, something from other post:

(Sorry; a photo should be here, but I can’t from my iPad...)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-imac-observations.2094363/#post-25584980

:) I’ve seen your post there...
I thought the same while seeing this. Fortunately, is not the “hottest” mac... but I don’t think it’s a good idea to mess with the design of the machine while closing a few air intakes.
But I also understand a heavy memory-card user complaint. In older iMac gen, card reader was on the side, making things easier.
At the end, I’m with you because I appreciate a clean view of my working machine, and I don’t need frequent plug&unplugging... I’ll get a hub if needed.
Apple decision is the best because it lets you satisfy all these different likings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darajavahus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.