Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
I bought a 256GB w/ Cellular right around release, and I loved it. But as time goes on, I find myself never using it. It sits by my bed and rarely even pick it up except to update iPadOS. I think my issue is the size and honestly when I need to get something done fast, I grab my M1 Pro MBP.

Would you sell it if you were me?

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
I mean, I know that come March or April I'll want the new one...that's the kicker, lol.

But at this point I think I'd rather sell it, most of my family isn't very techy and/or have their own iPad or use Android.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
I mean, I know that come March or April I'll want the new one...that's the kicker, lol.

But at this point I think I'd rather sell it, most of my family isn't very techy and/or have their own iPad or use Android.
Why would you want the new one if you’re not using the current one? Is this the same type of “want” that prompted you to purchase the current one that you don’t even use? If it were me I would sell the current one and then kill off the desire so I don’t make the same mistake twice.

Reactions: geta and Shirasaki

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
Why would you want the new one if you’re not using the current one? Is this the same type of “want” that prompted you to purchase the current one that you don’t even use? If it were me I would sell the current one and then kill off the desire so I don’t make the same mistake twice.

Honestly, don't know.

Either way I just listed it for sale.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
There's a lot of overlap between your MacBook, iPad and phone. I sold my M1 12.9" iPP because I didn't really see a need for having all three. Even my MacBook and iPhone are used for basically the same things now. Admittedly, I did almost buy the same iPad again a few times since I sold it, but I have to keep reminding myself - what's the point? Would I then sell the MacBook and continue this cycle over and over again? Either device is going to give me the same value in my life either way, I'd just be pointlessly losing money on them by selling/buying them for my current dopamine fix. Unfortunately, I sort of talked myself out of a new iPad, but want a Vision Pro now. We'll see how that goes...

I know you already said you've listed it. You pretty much just have to look at what's more valuable to you, the iPad itself, or the $900+ you'd get from selling it.

Reactions: Devyn89

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I bought a 256GB w/ Cellular right around release, and I loved it. But as time goes on, I find myself never using it. It sits by my bed and rarely even pick it up except to update iPadOS. I think my issue is the size and honestly when I need to get something done fast, I grab my M1 Pro MBP.

Q: Am I ridiculous for wanting to sell my iPP 12.9 M2?
A: No. You are not ridiculous for wanting to sell that iPad Pro.
(since you asked) But it IS ridiculous to want to buy a new version of the same thing in 3 months that you currently aren't using... and without any changes in use cases and workflows that would offer reasons why the new one won't suffer the same fate as the old one. (I'm not saying that YOU are ridiculous, only the idea... regardless of who has that idea... myself included. 😁)

I've been there myself. Whether it's FOMO or restlessness, wanting the next new thing is something we all wrestle with at some level. A few questions that I ask myself that might be helpful...

1. What are the reasons why I don't use this current device? (limitations of the hardware? software? change in needs since buying it? etc.)
  2. Are there things that I can change or add to the current device to improve the chances of me using it? (a new case? keyboard? stand? etc.)
  3. What will the new device allow me to do that isn't possible with the current one? (more storage/RAM? better camera (or camera orientation)? support for the latest versions of software?)
  4. What will I do with the old device? (repurpose it? sell it? donate it?)
These questions don't completely weed out unnecessary purchases, but the effort to answer them helps process why I want to upgrade/change.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
For the 12.9 M3 iPad the main change will be from miniled to oled, and it will be a minor change since miniled is already very competitive with oled. Maybe they can make it a bit thinner and lighter thanks to oled but I would not expect any major difference. RAM should stay the same and the speed difference will be mostly negligeable...
I think you may want to try the smaller 11in, which may be a better device for what you do with it...

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
For the 12.9 M3 iPad the main change will be from miniled to oled, and it will be a minor change since miniled is already very competitive with oled. Maybe they can make it a bit thinner and lighter thanks to oled but I would not expect any major difference. RAM should stay the same and the speed difference will be mostly negligeable...
I think you may want to try the smaller 11in, which may be a better device for what you do with it...

I have a 12.9, but because it had MiniLED. If the rumors are true, and the 11 will be the exact same specs as the 12.9, I will probably get an 11. Heck, I'd get a Mini if it had the Pro specs.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
You probably shouldn’t have an iPad unless it enables you to do something you need that your phone and laptop doesn't (eg. pen input), or you just have a strong preference for the form factor, touch, or iPadOS. Seems like neither is the case for you.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I've had an 11" iPad Pro since 2020. Been nomading about 50% of the time for the past 1.5 years. I do use it, but it's been occasional on the whole - might amount to a few hours a week, mostly as a kindle or for light web surfing. Picked up a Magic Keyboard to make it more usable, but now it's a 2.3 lb. load to carry... kinda an extra pain when I'm walking a mile to a train station or through an airport and that's a ding against carryon weight limits on commuter airlines (12kg total is common).

Finally handed it off to my dad just before leaving for Africa a couple weeks back. Haven't missed it much.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

There is no real point in keeping an iPad you don't use anymore.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I've had an 11" iPad Pro since 2020. Been nomading about 50% of the time for the past 1.5 years. I do use it, but it's been occasional on the whole - might amount to a few hours a week, mostly as a kindle or for light web surfing. Picked up a Magic Keyboard to make it more usable, but now it's a 2.3 lb. load to carry... kinda an extra pain when I'm walking a mile to a train station or through an airport and that's a ding against carryon weight limits on commuter airlines (12kg total is common).

Finally handed it off to my dad just before leaving for Africa a couple weeks back. Haven't missed it much.
that's where the 11" is good, on a plane just with a Smart Cover

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

If you don't use it and won't use it, there's no reason to keep it really.

I'm not sure why this post would make anyone angry, though...

Reactions: CMoore515

Teletypewriter

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021

1. I would sell now before the new iPad Pro models come out in March 2024.
2. If you bought a Magic Keyboard for your iPad Pro, you would need your Mac Pro less and less. The keyboard allows you to charge your ipad and still leave one usb-c port free. It also offers a lighted keyboard for working in bed at night.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
If that’s the case then you’re better off keeping it. Even if it’s something you pick up to play with once a month it’s better than selling it now and getting the itch to buy another in 4 months.

I go back and forth between my MBP 14” and iPad with MKB. Sometimes I want to sell one or the other when I go extended periods without using but I know since the upgrades are minimal these days it doesn’t make sense to sell.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Only reason I hold onto mine is because I travel for my job to a remote location with no internet and dont have enough room to fit my laptop with me either so it easiest to bring my cellular iPad Pro. But besides that, I never use mine at home, I use my phone or m2 macbook

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Its funny the OP want to sell his iPad because he don't use it, but in few month when the new comes out, he want to buy another one. 😂

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Its funny the OP want to sell his iPad because he don't use it, but in few month when the new comes out, he want to buy another one. 😂
You'd be surprised lol. In another forum i frequent, people are buying stuff, and they want the newer version when their current one is still sealed/never opened. At least OP used it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

if you use your mac for all tasks then yeah makes more sense to sell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.