Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Hey, i am a bit disappointed after viewed iPad Mini 6 reviews, sure, iPad Mini 6 got new slick design, bezels are reduced, home button gone...
BUT i found those black borders quite big enough, it seems like Apple have shrunken an iPad Air 4 without taking into consideration if you keep maintain same bezels for smaller size product overall, you will eventually get bigger bezels
Its fine on iPad Air 4 or iPad Pro due to their bigger size

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I’ve not seen it in real life yet, only on videos. However I do agree that in the review videos the bezels look unsightly. Perhaps they will disappear in time when you get used to them, kind of like the notch. Maybe in real life they aren’t as big.

blurryvision

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
You have the option to pinch to zoom so the borders are gone. Just tried with certain movies. The letterbox is fine imo but the tiny black borders in the left/right need to be optimized

Reactions: tpfang56

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
The mini 6 borders are the same as my ipad pro 12.9 so I don’t really notice it. The other thing is they’re the same size all the way around vs how my mini5 is with thin side, fat top and bottom.

oh…you mean borders on screen.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I meant black bezels, old iPad Mini has even slightly smaller side bezels (of course, up and bottom bezels are huge)

ipad-mini-6-geekbench.jpg

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I felt the same way at first but now that I have it, the bezels don't bother me. Any smaller and I think you wouldget accidental screen touches. Your hands need somewhere to rest.

One of my issues using the iPad mini 4 in portrait.

The 9.7" or bigger iPads, I always used landscape propped up on something so I'm usually just supporting corners or edges with fingertips. The mini 4, I liked better in portrait but found it harder to hold.

Played with a Kindle Oasis at an Amazon 4-Star store once and while the one-sided bezel hump looks weird, it's probably the comfiest/most ergonomic mobile device I've held.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
A compromise to fit the camera and other stuff. I'm okay with it. How does it compare to the Pro models?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

The 9.7" or bigger iPads, I always used landscape propped up on something so I'm usually just supporting corners or edges with fingertips. The mini 4, I liked better in portrait but found it harder to hold.

Played with a Kindle Oasis at an Amazon 4-Star store once and while the one-sided bezel hump looks weird, it's probably the comfiest/most ergonomic mobile device I've held.

When I first saw an Oasis, I thought "Really?" about the hump but you're right, it works ergonomically. And like the Mini 6, if you flip it for use in your other hand, the buttons reverse with the flip so they are consistent. It has been a nice replacement for the Paperwhite.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I just got mine and think it's awesome, but the bezels do seem large. The sides especially since the side bezels on the Mini 5 are smaller.

Reactions: deuxani

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I meant black bezels, old iPad Mini has even slightly smaller side bezels (of course, up and bottom bezels are huge)

ipad-mini-6-geekbench.jpg
Thank you for this picture! I’ve looking for a comparison between the black 5 and the 6. In review videos they always show a mini with a white front which makes it difficult to judge things.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

In portrait mode I hold my iPad mini 5 at the bottom and I did the same with all the previous generations.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Bezels on the old mini are 7.56 mm (on the long side), on the new mini 9.43 mm, and on the Air 4 they are 10.356 mm. This is based on Apple's specs, body width minus pixel count divided by DPI, divided by two. I agree that the bezels are quite big on the new mini relative to its size.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The design ethos of the new Mini/Air/Pro body style is to have all bezels of (near) equal size on all sides. I suspect that the front-facing camera assembly was the limiting factor of how small the bezels could be. Without the camera, the bezels could've been the same size as the side bezels on the Mini 5.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Possibly. It's extra irritating though because the larger bezels also caused them to decrease the horizontal resolution.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
these feel to me more like the air 4 thicker bezels than the pro ones.... Smaller bezels would have been nice and there is little risk of accidental touches thanks to the good palm rejection. My Samsung Tab S7+ has no palm rejection and the same bezels as my iPad pro and I hit the screen accidentally all the time... virtually never on the iPad...

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
The design ethos of the new Mini/Air/Pro body style is to have all bezels of (near) equal size on all sides. I suspect that the front-facing camera assembly was the limiting factor of how small the bezels could be. Without the camera, the bezels could've been the same size as the side bezels on the Mini 5.
How wide would the bezels be if they were only a wide as the widest point of an iPhone 13's notch?

They can fit the cameras and FaceID sensors in that space...

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
How wide would the bezels be if they were only a wide as the widest point of an iPhone 13's notch?

They can fit the cameras and FaceID sensors in that space...
Just measured the notch on my 12 mini, it’s slightly more than 8 mm. So I guess they could conceivably have shaved off 1 mm.

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I know what you're saying - when looking at the 11 and 12.9 for example, even though the thickness of the bezel is the same, the 12.9 has a larger screen to bezel ratio.

The Air has visibly thicker bezels compared to the 11" Pro, and to me they start to look a bit big. I was nervous about that with the mini given the display itself is much smaller. But to my surprise the bezels are thinner on the mini compared to the Air, I do think they look balanced for the size of the device. Plus, its always nice to have some bezel around the edge to hold these devices.

laestrella

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012

I love the ergonomics of my Oasis as well! It's fantastic and very comfortable to hold for long periods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.