Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Just curious about that, because I haven't seen anyone discussing that even on rumors about the next laptops generation and that is a killer feature for me as a consumer.
Hey, PC laptops already have that feature, so why can't we :p

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I'd rather have iSight do a retina scan :p

haha that would be sweet, my brothers girlfriend has a toshiba with a finger print scanner, its right above the track pad, its a little tiny bar thing that you slide your finger over..not intrusive or bad looking at al

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Just curious about that, because I haven't seen anyone discussing that even on rumors about the next laptops generation and that is a killer feature for me as a consumer.
Hey, PC laptops already have that feature, so why can't we :p

What good is a fingerprint reader? They are ugly, require more circuitry thus consuming more battery power, add weight and cost without giving any benefit.

You may say that it would protect your data if the lappy is stolen, but it did not prevent the theft. As with any password or security device, they can be bypassed.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I'd rather have iSight do a retina scan :p

Well thats something I can expect Apple to come out with down the line. Boy wouldn't that be cool. It would be nice to show it off to the Windows users :cool:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Fingerprint readers are the laptop computing equivalent of bling (up there with fluorescent lighting inside your gaming machines).

To the uninitiated it has the "Whoa, cool!" factor but those who have tried it (including myself) seem to think it's underwhelming.

vultureparade

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
I went into a Best Buy the other week or so and every Vista-bloated PC laptop had a fingerprint reader. I can't really see the practical purpose of having a fingerprint reader. Are we all spies now?

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
My last Toshiba has a fingerprint scanner and my brother's current one does. From what I've seen, there's really no point to it. It's just another doodad that takes up space and mars the face of the laptop.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I can't even begin to think of how pointless a finger-print reader would be. Probably the most under-utilized, expensive, and pointless piece of machinery to put in a laptop.

If someone wants it, let them customize it for a few hundo extra for all I care, but don't make the masses pay for something that maybe 2 in 100 would use regularly.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I can't even begin to think of how pointless a finger-print reader would be. Probably the most under-utilized, expensive, and pointless piece of machinery to put in a laptop.
Very true. I'm glad my mbp didn't come with one. Apple has more sense than that.
Know what works just as well? "Can I borrow your laptop?" "No."

At this time, it might also be appropriate to ready your mace:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.