Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimsz

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
I'm with you. The presentations now are slick but are overly rehearsed and they try too hard with everything. Audience reactions means a lot in presentations.

Besides you get to xxx version 17 and it really comes down with a Y A W N.

Lastly, give me a larger iMac and I will buy it on Day 1, otherwise, time to move to a new platform.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I've said this before but it all comes down to intimacy. These current presentations are totally produced and pre-baked, what we're seeing today is already finished. Nothing live about it. Bunch of people standing in various settings in front of screens that are edited on afterwards.

Compare this to when Steve would take the stage and introduce a new product or feature, he would sit at a computer and show it live. He would use the product like any of us, and that's what made it so impressive. In that moment, Steve was a user as well. There's something much more compelling about this, or seeing him scroll through an iPod knowing that he's hunting for something cool to show us, than a big budget pre-recorded presentation. The production quality is there, but the soul is not. It was a massive part of the reality distortion field.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The only thing I don't like is that they are over-rehearsed. But that said, I find them better than just seeing people on stage, as a virtual viewer they are much better than before.

OW22

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Steve had the skill that Tim just does not have. Nothing will ever beat Steve revealing the iPhone in 2007 and swiping his finger to open the device and hearing the shocked reaction from the live audience. Steve was a genius at that. And then using the device and showing exactly what it could do including showing Google Maps and showing a Starbucks calling the Starbucks on the iPhone and ordering 1000 lattes!

If that was Steve today, it would have been a live audience and he would have made sure an Architect or designer was on stage with the headset showing how they will use the device and create designs and using the headset to place them and vision them etc. And he would have had a laugh face-timing Phil Schiller using the headset.

What we see today and have seen in the past few years shows the power of the CEO. Because Tim is not good at presenting or demonstrating, these Keynotes now have to be staged and pre-produced, and everyone has to fall into line.

Craig would be SO much better, live in front of an audience, but he can't do that because Tim can't.

Last edited:

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I like the old way they did it with an audience. Much more energy, which I think is worth more than the over-the-top polish of the pre-recorded versions they do now.
You are not the only one. Live presentation to an audience present in-person and their reactions presented a higher level of communication, a significant human factor. What used to be interactive, now seems rather robotic …

Reactions: SB1500

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Steve's a natural salesman with stage presence.

Between 2011-2020 Tim and his team really visibly struggled with public speaking.

With their very well produced pre-recorded presentation it's pretty good.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Nah. Most of the people who get on stage are not great public speakers and the volume of stuff they have to get through now would drag the keynotes well over the three hour mark. The old format was fine when Apple had a smaller product range and a more charismatic presenter doing most of the talking, but the new format works better for current Apple in the current day.

Evvie

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2022
Completely agree. Hearing the audience’s reaction was always captivating when a new product was launched and added to the hype of it all.

The original iPhone reveal you could hear the whole audience gasp the first time they saw scrolling. We need more moments like this and that’s not possible with pre-recorded showings the way they do it now.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
The "audiences" of many of the old events were mainly Apple employees, hand-picked sycophants and vetted journalists so it's not like those reactions were completely earnest and genuine anyway.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Mo Money Mo Problems...
Apple is too big to do such intimate events... has to be these over-produced pre-recorded events now. They look great, but definitely nowhere near the same impact as whenever Steve Jobs would unveil something.

• Love

romanof

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Disagree. The old performances were far too slow, with pauses for applause every minute. I don't really care about the presentation, whether amateur or pro - just the facts and as many as possible in as short a time as will give decent exposure. I usually wait to see the streaming version so I can skip over the non-informative babble.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
The "audiences" of many of the old events were mainly Apple employees, hand-picked sycophants and vetted journalists so it's not like those reactions were completely earnest and genuine anyway.
Agreed. The audience reactions were always over the top and not genuine reaction. It added nothing. Applauses for everyhting said however insignificant.

SB1500

Suspended
Dec 31, 2021
I miss the in person events too. There was something exciting, although I'm over a thousand miles away, not a developer and never had / have or will have a chance to attend in person, the excitement of seeing on Twitter the crowds, the YouTuber's I watch going for pizza or something around Apple's HQ / the Moscone centre back in the day, is lacking now.

The cool transitions and effects were great in 2020 / 21. But I think they're old now. I was watching out for them on this years one, but they were quite lacking in impressiveness imo.

I also can't help but feel that maybe those backgrounds are entirely fake, even if they are of the real scenes at the SJ Theatre lobby or Apple Park hallways, I think they're totally fake backgrounds.

Nothing will top the SJ era. What an honour it was to have been alive and into Apple at the time of the iPhone event, and 2007-2011 events as they happened. It's just the changing world we live in. I'm not sure Apple will ever go back to the way it was.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

SB1500

Suspended
Dec 31, 2021
That's just false... any proof to your claim? The applause in the old Apple events was always in line with the size of the crowd. When it was a packed out Moscone West centre for big announcements, it was not only the Apple employees that made that volume and depth of applause. And the smaller intimate events like at the old Apple employee small conference room, it was a much shorter, quieter clapping less screaming applause...

SB1500

Suspended
Dec 31, 2021
100%.

Live Keynote with pause, with interaction with the audience, with live bugs, … those are memories.

Today’s keynotes are too scripted, too forgettable.
A generation of 'Apple WWDC mistakes' or 'Angry Tim Cook moments' has been swept from under our feet!!!

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I think the new format has something to be said for it. The infographics on new products are a very informative recap of everything they have just said about a new product, which you could only do with a tightly-scripted video. Seeing different parts of Apple Park is fun too.

However, the Steve Jobs era presentations had some great set pieces, like the first MacBook Air coming out of an envelope on stage, or the whole iPhone reveal in 2007.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
yeah more fun with the audience! all the forced inclusion and women presenters gets on my nerves 😂

• Love

SB1500

Suspended
Dec 31, 2021
yeah more fun with the audience! all the forced inclusion and women presenters gets on my nerves 😂
Gosh, I'm glad somebody said it. I miss when the executives or team leads were presenting. Now it's very niche role titles and I can't help but think they're being selective to highlight that aspect.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Gosh, I'm glad somebody said it. I miss when the executives or team leads were presenting. Now it's very niche role titles and I can't help but think they're being selective to highlight that aspect.
ha lets hope I don't get cancelled. yes I meant it not a nasty way, it just does feel all forced and a little fake at times!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.