Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I'd say Reminders is the test bed for this. Also, Apple doesn't necessarily want to sherlock Fantastical, which is probably a a pretty app revenue source for them.

Reactions: Armen

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
What’s natural language in a calendar?

Typing in something like “Schedule me for lunch with John on Friday at noon at La Parisienne” and having the calendar parse all that information properly and schedule the event (and perhaps invite John or, someday, make the lunch reservation). Siri can actually do this now, so it certainly is possible. But Apple may be avoiding doing that to not step on major app vendor’s toes.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Siri can certainly do this. Settings>General>Accessibility>Siri and turn on "Type to Siri".

I don't think it's about Siri typing, it's about simply asking Siri to schedule the appointment and having it automatically block out the time in Calendar without ever opening the app manually to do it.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

I may have taken it to the next level with my “not opening the app” comment, but yes.

Text to speech is an option with every app that uses the keyboard, but I should be able to simply activate Siri and say “schedule a meeting with John on Thursday from noon to two at Chez René in New York City” and have it create a calendar entry for that.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I may have taken it to the next level with my “not opening the app” comment, but yes.

Text to speech is an option with every app that uses the keyboard, but I should be able to simply activate Siri and say “schedule a meeting with John on Thursday from noon to two at Chez René in New York City” and have it create a calendar entry for that.

I'm confused...are you saying you can't do that currently?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
F me! I just read what I wrote into Siri and it did it perfectly (once I picked one of the John's from my contacts)...hah!

I need to use Siri more...
LOL! That was actually in the very first version of Siri in October 2011! But that actually underlines the fact that if Siri can do this (and has been able to for 8 years), why are the text inputs performing the exact same function unable to do so?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
LOL! That was actually in the very first version of Siri in October 2011! But that actually underlines the fact that if Siri can do this (and has been able to for 8 years), why are the text inputs performing the exact same function unable to do so?

I really like the idea of Siri asking you after that is done, "would you like me to send an invite to John?"

Cortana was asking follow ups when they first introduced it...

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I really like the idea of Siri asking you after that is done, "would you like me to send an invite to John?"

Cortana was asking follow ups when they first introduced it...
Yes, that can be particularly important if you are scheduling time to, say, fire John from his job! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.