Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilzx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Hey guys. So I received my Apple Pencil 2 along with my IPP11" on the first batch of shipping 2 weeks ago, and have been using it frequently (4-5hrs a day) for school. Only recently I've noticed that there are very faint, almost indiscernible black/grey lines around the area that charges/docks to the iPad. I've brought it to the Apple Store for an exchange and they said that it was no use and it will eventually happen to every Apple Pencil 2. The guy then showed me a random ap2 from one of the display sets and true enough theirs had little dots around the same area.

I tried taking a picture but its really hard to make out.

photo_2018-11-20_23-32-56.jpg

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Edit: They are definitely not scratches as I keep my pencil in a pouch on it's own, and the surface does not show any scuffing

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
I wonder if it’s metal fragments or other such magnetic materials collecting around the charging magnets inside the pencil? FWIW, I don’t see that on my Pencil, yet.

Ilzx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
I wonder if it’s metal fragments or other such magnetic materials collecting around the charging magnets inside the pencil? FWIW, I don’t see that on my Pencil, yet.

Thats a possibility since the magnets are strong. But if so, then that's really poor build quality on the insides which would be disappointing.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
About 11 days for me and thus far I don’t see it even under a magnifying glass. I keep mine attached to the iPad all night as well. I’ll keep checking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.