Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RockyRZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Tampa, FL
I've only recently started editing on Premier Pro, I only do it at college so far.

Anyway, I'm gonna buy a Mac except... I'm gonna move far from my location within a year.
However, I don't wanna waste any money on a Macbook Pro when the iMac kinda gives me more for less $$$.

I don't even know if I really need portability yet, and I have to carry that 4K on an airplane within a year.
So...

Should I go for the iMac or say "screw it" and go for the Macbook Pro?
Granted I don't even like the 15" one.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get an iMac.
Save the box it comes in.
Use that to ship it when you need to.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
I've only recently started editing on Premier Pro, I only do it at college so far...I don't even know if I really need portability yet, and I have to carry that 4K on an airplane within a year.
So....

If you don't really need to edit video on the road, the iMac is a better choice. Re Premiere Pro, if you have access through your college, be advised for regular people the Adobe suite costs about $50 per month. If you simply need to edit basic videos, you can do that in iMovie which is free and works well. There is also DaVinci Resolve which is fairly full featured and free. Final Cut Pro X is $299, but there's an educational bundle for $199 which includes several products: https://www.apple.com/us_edu_11197/shop/product/BMGE2/pro-apps-bundle-for-education

Apple has given free upgrades to all licensed FCPX users since it was released in 2011.

Reactions: kohlson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.