Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
Did you know you can stop iTunes from randomly playing it's visualizations and view them all independently? Did you know you can see the names of the different styles, and actually save up to ten of them in presets?

Well you can! Apple amazes me once again. I always wished there was a way to freeze a visualization on a certain pattern; and until today, I didn't think you could. But after accidentally hitting some keys I stumbled on a way to do just that! The depth to these software programs is awe-inspiring. I can't count how many times I've been disappointed in Apple for missing important features in programs, and to later find out they where there all along.

Anyway, here's how it works. These are some keys to do the functions:

Pressing "c" displays the name of the current visualization.
Pressing "b" displays the apple logo on the screen; very cool!
Pressing "n" toggles the contrast mode.
Pressing "f" toggles the frame rate display.
Pressing "t" toggles capping the frame rate.
Pressing "i" displays the current song name.
Pressing "m" will freeze on the current visualization.

Pressing "q" & "w" will take you back and forth between the different categories of visualizations.
Pressing "a" & "s" will take you back and forth between the different types of visualizations.
Pressing "z" & "x" will take you back and forth between the different visualizations.

Pressing "?" display SOME of the key functions described above.

Holding down shift and pressing a a number key (1-10) will add the current playing visualization to that number as a preset. So when you press that number, iTunes will switch to that visualizer.

Am I the only one that didn't know about this?

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Sorry, I don't like to burst people's bubbles, but I noticed that a couple years ago. I don't really think its a 'hidden feature.' It was nice to be reminded of it, though, I had some fun playing around with it again. Thanks.

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
Sorry, I don't like to burst people's bubbles, but I noticed that a couple years ago. I don't really think its a 'hidden feature.' It was nice to be reminded of it, though, I had some fun playing around with it again. Thanks.

No Problem.

I just called it hidden because there is no visual cues in the program to access the feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.