Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monstruo

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
Some features are nice but I definitely don't look forward to see basic applications taking cues from iOS. I mean iOS is designed for a platform to work without keyboard and mouse. On Mac OS, it could definitely afford more than just simplified flat UI/UX.

I wish apple would look further into it (I'm sure they are!), and not just simply follow the nature of trend.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Some very good posts here.

In particular the missing Dock. I forgot that I KNOW how to use a Mac. A visual representation of dock, indeed, is what separates it from the rest. While I hate Ive's current design, it does make sense for new users.

In general I found that my... less technical friends have problems understanding basic concepts like "you can have more than one window open". The Windows user always minimises everything (without looking what it is), then goes to Desktop, then double-clicks the icon and magically Thunderbird or whatever it is pops up again. It would be much easier to explain to him "here on the bottom you have the icon and you can click it whenever you like, nothing will cover it". Lack of dock might make him think that the icons will get hidden if he makes anything full screen (and then he'd click the green button, and go OMG I BROKED IT and restart the whole thing, but that's a different subject).

Reactions: Jessica Lares

OldGreyGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2014
Near Brisbane, Australia
In general I found that my... less technical friends have problems understanding basic concepts like "you can have more than one window open". The Windows user always minimises everything (without looking what it is), then goes to Desktop, then double-clicks the icon and magically Thunderbird or whatever it is pops up again. It would be much easier to explain to him "here on the bottom you have the icon and you can click it whenever you like, nothing will cover it". Lack of dock might make him think that the icons will get hidden if he makes anything full screen (and then he'd click the green button, and go OMG I BROKED IT and restart the whole thing, but that's a different subject).
That's how my wife works and a number of other people, I however work in an office full of technically adept people, each of us runs 3 physical monitors and like the rest (who use Windows or Linux) I usually have a number of desktops per monitor which I use for various tasks, keyboard/trackpad/mouse (Logitech MX Master) are all constantly in use. A design like the one shown on the original post would not be useful to me.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
This may be years out.
Turns out it was - just under 5 years later and macOS Big Sur is pretty similar in design to this! Photos in particular, and the window chrome look very similar to how the Mac UI ended up being many years on.

Also came true:

- Change of name to macOS
- macOS moving to 11.0
- iOS apps on Mac
- Music app for Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.