Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I took the plunge and updated to Mojave 10.14.6, not quite up to Catalina yet...

After a few minutes of testing, I see that the following will cause Notebook 4.0.7 (759) to crash:
- opening the "File > Open Recent" menu - if you want to use anything else from the File menu below that, just move the pointer down really fast so that the "Open Recent" submenu doesn't open.
- opening the "Window" menu - immediate crash.
- opening a password-protected file either by double-clicking it or using "File > Open", it crashes after entering the password.

The other menubar items seem ok (so far). Maybe it's not so bad... I don't use a lot of advanced stuff, maybe I can keep going with it for another couple of years rather than having to change to NoteTaker or something else.

Can anyone else describe specific things that cause crashes, so we know what to avoid doing?

Last edited:

HenryJ

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
I took the plunge and updated to Mojave 10.14.6, not quite up to Catalina yet...

After a few minutes of testing, I see that the following will cause Notebook 4.0.7 (759) to crash:
- opening the "File > Open Recent" menu - if you want to use anything else from the File menu below that, just move the pointer down really fast so that the "Open Recent" submenu doesn't open.
- opening a password-protected file either by double-clicking it or using "File > Open", it crashes after entering the password.

The other menubar items seem ok (so far). Maybe it's not so bad... I don't use a lot of advanced stuff, maybe I can keep going with it for another couple of years rather than having to change to NoteTaker or something else.

Can anyone else describe specific things that cause crashes, so we know what to avoid doing?
You may want to go a step further and install Catalina. Inexplicably, to me at least, Notebook 4.0.7 ran better on Catalina than on Mojave. Still not perfect, crashes under certain conditions, but still better and more stable than before.

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks HenryJ - I wonder if you could describe any of the things that cause crashes - or don't cause them anymore on Catalina? Can you use the "Window" and "Open Recent" menus for example?

If I install Catalina, I'll lose the use of my graphics tablet and some important apps, so if CPN is the same either way, I'd rather not. Also it seems to me more stable on Mojave than the last time I tried it on a friend's computer about a year ago, so there could have been the same improvements. Maybe I'll try installing Catalina on another partition and compare them, when I have some time.

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I installed Catalina on a virtual machine, but it doesn't seem any more stable than the latest Mojave. The same things make NoteBook crash: using the "Window" menu or the "Open recent", etc.

DeepYogurt

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Has anyone seen NoteBook (v3.1.9 on High Sierra) go into super-high CPU usage (near 100%) occasionally (seems to be for about 10 minutes) and then be fine? It does it when it first starts up, then occasionally thereafter but I have not seen a pattern to the high-cpu problem yet. It might have something to do with Services, but that is just a guess. I open a rather large notebook on startup (over 1GB), so it might be related to that, but since it does it again in the middle of doing stuff, this is probably coincendental. But after the high-cpu can't-do-much period things are fine, until it happens again (and that might be hours or minutes - it's very unpredictable. Any ideas or what i might do to narrow down the cause of the problem?

When in this super-high court mode, you really can't do much with NoteBook till it stops being so cpu-bound but other processes don't seem to be affected very much.

Am just now starting to try V4 of NoteBook on Catalina and it works in some ways but seems to crash a fair amount -- can make it crash at will if i do something as simple as try and move mouse cursor (not even a click yet) on top of "File/Open Recent" menu command - crashes every time I try.

Thanks...

ClarusWerks

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2019
Late to the party as I was late to climb Mojave (10.14.6).
I went to open v4 today, and it crashed.
Reinstalled v3, and it works.
Suggestions on things to tweak to get 4 to work?
If I go back to v3, I'll be sad, as the developer added crows feet ( represents 1-to-many) as a line ending to for Flow charts just for me!

Last edited:

sblevine

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2020
I am cleaning out my files and trying to open some old stuff. I found several notebook files but cannot open Notebook 4, it can't find a license. I am at a loss as to what to do.

CPN Lover

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Hello Fellow Circus Ponies’ NoteBook (CPN) Lovers,

Just so you know I created this thread account to post this one-time only response.

In my personal opinion, I found an exceptional CPN replacement app.

Before I upgraded to MacOS Mojave I exported my CPN notebooks in .HTML, .NB, .OPML, and .RTFD file formats. Perhaps, I should have also exported them in the .NBML file format. Nonetheless, I am well pleased.

Thus far, I imported just one of my old CPN notebooks; it was exported in the .RTFD file format. I choose to use this file format to import my old CPN notebook because I knew it retained my file attachments and text formatting, and in this case all of the attached files were image files. The result was the entire notebook imported into one page in the replacement app. All of the folder structure was not there, but the format of the text was retained, which allowed me to recall the folder structure. At this point, all I need to do is recreate the folder structure by copying and pasting each old CPN page into sections and pages in the new app's section and page structure. One drawback is the new app does not allow folder (section) nesting beyond one level. In other words, the new app has what I call a top folder structure called Contents. Within Contents the app allows as many sections as one prefers to add. The problem is a section only allows one level below itself. This sub-section is where the notebook pages reside. Yet, there is no limit to the number of pages allowed in a single section. Each of these pages are on the same sub-section level. No nesting is allowed below the page level. The work-around I image is to just create more sections (folders) than I did in CPN, and in the new app I will give similar names to each section so I recall their organized relationship to one another. Those of you that recall, CPN allowed us to create as many sub-folders as we desired. At least I never ran into a limit. Again, the work-around is to now give each section in the new app a common prepend followed by the specific folder (section) name (e.g., the prepend might be Healthy Eating, and the specific section names could be something like Morning Meals, Afternoon Meals, Evening Meals, Holiday Meals, so one section will be named Healthy Eating - Morning Meals, etc.).

I admit this app is not a feature for feature match, but it rocks! My favorite CPN feature was the ability to to create internal links to specific words or phrases (e.g., to link from one word to another word on the same page, to link to another word on a different page, and to link to another word on a page in a different notebook). Wow, I love this feature! It is crucial to the way I think. Other apps feature internal link creation from a specific word to a general page (note), but this is unsuitable because many days, weeks, months, or years later how would I remember where on the linked page (note) I wanted to navigate.

One feature this app does not have is the MacOS QuickLook feature where we could within CPN press the spacebar to QuickLook files like PDF documents, images, etc. This was another feature I used a lot, but in this replacement app any file like this can be opened in the default app it would normally open in if double-clicked in the Finder. Also, there is a feature called X-Ray Info Box, this works similar to QuickLook, but not quite the same if you ask me.

Alright, I won't make you sweat anymore. The name of the CPN replacement app I recently purchased from the Apple Mac App Store is NoteTaker 4, priced at what I think is an undervalued $29.99. Unfortunately, there is no free trial version available, so you choose what works best for you.

Alternatively, those of you that are not willing to give up using CPN can still use it while also using the latest version of MacOS, if you so desire.

How so?

If you are willing to invest more than $29.99 you can purchase a virtualization app like Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion. I think you can purchase either of these two apps for about $50 USD. Personally, I have a license for Parallels Desktop Pro, but I cannot give any feedback because I have not yet installed it. Nevertheless, either of these two apps should allow you to install and run a version of MacOS that will run CPN. I never upgraded to Sierra or High Sierra. I went straight from El Capitan to Mojave. So, as I said, if you refuse to let go of CPN, just run it through the emulation app of your choice. In fact, if you are willing to give it a try, maybe one of the free virtualization apps will work with this idea. I think VirtualBox and Wine are free, but I don't know if they will run older versions of MacOS / OS X.

In case you are wondering, I am not associated with any of the developers of the apps I just recommended. I am just a fellow CPN lover like you, and I took the time to go into such detail because I searched for years to find a suitable replacement app for CPN, and for my needs I have found it in NoteTaker 4. Besides, if I were associated with any of these developers, tell me which one do you think I am associated with because I gave alternatives, some free and some at a cost? Think it through, please. Thank you, and you're welcome.

I will not monitor this thread, nor my one-time post. I think I've given more than enough. I encourage you to think it through, and do what you choose to do. I have nothing to gain, nor lose by posting once, and leaving you to think it through and make your own decision(s). It will cost you more to tuff it out and stick with CPN because you will not be able to upgrade your version of MacOS / OS X. Besides, if you choose my suggested alternative, it will cost you more to use Parallels Desktop or VMWare, if you choose to bypass the freeware options of VirtualBox or Wine. Do what works best for you. Personally, I am happy with my decision, so I am going out of my way to share with you. Unfortunately, some of you are bound to accuse me of lying, but you have no proof of such an accusation. I and others will move on, and you’ll do what you choose to do.

Lastly, I will post this same text, word for word, if it doesn’t exceed a word limit, as a review on the NoteTaker 4 page in the Mac App Store. Otherwise, I will just give a great review in as many words as I can.

Best wishes,

CPN Lover

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Just so you know I created this thread account to post this one-time only response.

Alright, I won't make you sweat anymore. The name of the CPN replacement app I recently purchased from the Apple Mac App Store is NoteTaker 4, priced at what I think is an undervalued $29.99. Unfortunately, there is no free trial version available, so you choose what works best for you.

Actually this has been discussed some already in this thread. While I had said that I would get NoteTaker 4, so much time has passed since I abandoned CPN that I won't be going that way. Luckily for me I retired weeks within CPN calling it quits, so I archived everything I had done into PDF and HTML for future reference (which I have needed). I settled on Growly Notes, which is most like Microsoft One Note and little like CPN as my general replacement. Growly Notes is now a free product as well but is maintained. I was using CPN to take notes for writing. Now I'm just using the built in notes facility in Scrivener. So all is well here and I can say "goodbye" to CPN.

HappyCPN4onMojave

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020

Dear all, really thank you for these precious information, including CPN is indeed a 64-bit app.

I came back to CPN4.0.7, on Mojave 10.14.6, after fruitless wander for alternatives for years.

On my MacBook Pro 2018, CPN4.0.7(759) on Mojave 10.14.6 works mostly fine, except for the points described by sum yung guy on Dec 12, 2019.

FYI, I also note that Parallels Desktop has done great work, enabling running Yosemite as a guest OS on Mojave to run CPN4. Look-and-feel is acceptably nice, enabling seamless operation on the guest (e.g. shortcuts of CPN4 like Cmd+Shift+N and Cmd+Option+N work, clipboard is accessible between the host and guest OSs, no need to struggle to set up shared folders as they are set up automatically).
I tried Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac Pro Edition Version 15.1.4(47270) on macos Mojave Version 10.14.6, and successfully installed Yosemite (but failed Sierra (or High Sierra); tried on 2020/06/03) as a guest OS, and on Yosemite guest, CPN4 runs fine as on native Sierra machine I keep.

For note, in my case, none satisfied me as an alternative of CPN:
- NoteTaker 4
Cons:
- only one section level
Pros:
- line by line creation and modification date

- RMarkDown on Rstudio, in combination with text files and attached files put regularly under folders of which name is date, with the aid of Finder and Spotlight
Cons:
- no way to check creation and modification record on an Rmd document under working (but we can check git record separately if we commit git regularly by hand)).
- sections cannot be closed on a viewer pane (except this, viewer pane at the right side on RStudio can be an alternative of contents tab functionality of CPN).
Pros:
- any of section levels can be closed on editor window.
- Rmd file is simple text file, so we will less likely encounter the trouble of file format as we had on CPN in the future.

- Growly Notes
Cons: no creation and modification record

- Microsoft OneNote
Cons: no line by line creation and modification date

- Trello.app
Cons: not standalone but cloud-based as the same as regular Trello or ClickUp

HappyCPN4onMojave

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
I am cleaning out my files and trying to open some old stuff. I found several notebook files but cannot open Notebook 4, it can't find a license. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Below I tried on CPN4.0.7(759) and (756) on MBP 2018.
1. Prepare my license.
2-1. On an account on which I never used CPN, CPN asks to enter user name and license key when I open CPN. I just entered name and license key, and the license was correctly registered on CPN, and I can use CPN.
2-2. On an account I have used CPN before (cloned machine to machine for years), license is already registered when I opened CPN4 at the first time on MBP.

The license is kept at ~/Library/Application Support/NoteBook/Licenses/License<number>.nb4l

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Has anyone tried it on Big Sur?

If it works, it will also be interesting to see if it runs on an Arm M1 Mac with Rosetta 2...

Another alternative I've been looking at is Dynalist. It's a cloud/freemium/subscription thing, but has a desktop app that can run offline, at least for a while, and sync later. The main thing for me is that it has per-item creation dates. It's a lot more stripped-down than CPN, but for a basic text outliner it seems pretty good, and the free version is quite useable.

Teddybear093

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
Brooklyn, New York
CPN was actually running fairly stable for me on Catalina but that last few updates have really just made it too unstable for regular utilization. I recently tried NoteTaker 4 when it returned to the App store but I am finding it too limited in functionality in comparison CPN or some other apps. I have tried running CPN on Big Sur but it's still crashes and is not very usable. I raise the issue again of crowd funding a solution for CPN if possible..............

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015

Teddybear093 -​

Could you describe the differences in recent Catalina or Big Sur versions that make CPN less stable than before? Are there new things that cause a crash, and if so, what are they?

I'm still using Mojave. I haven't noticed any changes in stability. One thing I just noticed though is that going to a page with an attachment causes a crash. I don't know if that was happening before, or is something new, because I almost never use attachments. Another thing I didn't mention, but was happening before, is that opening some of the tabs in the Inspector (Outline Item Inspector, Shape Inspector, Page Font Inspector, and Page Inspector) will cause a crash. That's a really big loss of functionality, there are many settings you can't adjust anymore.

I wouldn't assume that getting CPN working properly would be a few simple tweaks. Overhauling NoteTaker to run on current macOS seems to have been a huge undertaking, at least a year of work. So you might be looking at $100,000 to hire a programmer just to get started. I know that some people asked Jayson to open-source the code but he hasn't been interested so far. He used to be partners with the developer of NoteTaker until they (and the product) split. I imagine they both have some rights to the code, and an open-source NoteBook would surely put NoteTaker out of business. You could try to track him down and ask, but it seems doubtful to me...

Teddybear093

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
Brooklyn, New York

Teddybear093 -​

Could you describe the differences in recent Catalina or Big Sur versions that make CPN less stable than before? Are there new things that cause a crash, and if so, what are they?

I'm still using Mojave. I haven't noticed any changes in stability. One thing I just noticed though is that going to a page with an attachment causes a crash. I don't know if that was happening before, or is something new, because I almost never use attachments. Another thing I didn't mention, but was happening before, is that opening some of the tabs in the Inspector (Outline Item Inspector, Shape Inspector, Page Font Inspector, and Page Inspector) will cause a crash. That's a really big loss of functionality, there are many settings you can't adjust anymore.

I wouldn't assume that getting CPN working properly would be a few simple tweaks. Overhauling NoteTaker to run on current macOS seems to have been a huge undertaking, at least a year of work. So you might be looking at $100,000 to hire a programmer just to get started. I know that some people asked Jayson to open-source the code but he hasn't been interested so far. He used to be partners with the developer of NoteTaker until they (and the product) split. I imagine they both have some rights to the code, and an open-source NoteBook would surely put NoteTaker out of business. You could try to track him down and ask, but it seems doubtful to me...
I wish I had tracked the changes from the early betas of Catalina to the more finished versions, however, CPN was operating "normally" with the initial betas. Like the early versions of Mojave, where CPN was also working well, something in the development of the OS is clashing with something in CPN. I too have been experiencing the crashes in utilizing the inspectors and that renders it all but unusable for the most part. This continues actually in Big Sur, but there are additional problems as the titles on the tab or section dividers have disappeared and it crashes even when flipping through the pages of a notebook. The only version of Mac OS where CPN runs 100% normally is with Sierra.

I had high hopes that a newer version of NoteTaker would include more functionality and flexibility, however, that was not the case and most note taking or notebook apps on the App Store seem like simple variations of a theme - not very deep and lack features that made CPN such a stand out. It’s probably a fool’s errand at this point especially now with the M1 chip that iPhone and iPad apps can be ported easily to the Mac, although I don’t find any of those note taking apps to be especially outstanding either. Certainly for Big Sur or the M1 Mac, CPN would need more than tweaking and you are totally correct in that matter.

As to alternatives, MacJournal while not quite as powerful as CPN has been updated to run on Big Sur and the new M1 Macs and currently the app is free, but it UI is still clunky.

Maybe if we reached out to Jayson as a group???

RobLewis

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2004
Trying to help my non-techie wife move on from CPN. Working on an AppleScript to export all her notes to plain text. Anybody else tried this? (If I get it working I'll post it here.) Any other recommended solutions that can be automated?
Also, we only have one license code and I need another one for my development machine. Anybody have a spare one they'd be willing to contribute?
(I have v. 4.0.7; is this the final one?)

Last edited:

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
@RobLewis, what's your wife moving to? If you go to plain text, all the formatting is lost. If she still wants an outliner, then exporting as .opml will retain that formatting and can be opened in other outliner apps like OmniOutliner, DynaList, etc. You still lose formatting like fonts, bold/italic, etc., but it's a lot better.

Has she looked at NoteTaker? It's very similar, they're both based on the same earlier project. Unfortunately no demo version. But you can export a .nbml file from NoteBook and import it into NoteTaker, and most things will port over: dates, text formatting, checkboxes, highlighting, keywords, etc. - It's the closest thing you'll find. You have to export each page separately, but you could automate that with AppleScript. The AppleScript support isn't that great though, you have to use GUI scripting to click the various menus and buttons to do the exporting.

Version 4.0.7 (759) was the final release. If you isolate the network connections you should be able to use the same license code on both your computers.

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
@Teddybear093 , thanks for the info about Big Sur, though it's disappointing. My computer can't run it, so I don't have to worry for a while yet, but I'm not looking forward to having to give it up. MacJournal looks kind of ok for what it is, but it's not an outliner.

You can contact Jayson at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jaysonadams/ but I'm sure many people have already tried. I think he's just not interested. If you think you could raise a bunch of cash, maybe better to ask Scott Love of NoteTaker if he'd be willing to do custom features and changes? What's missing from it? It looks like it's kind of in maintenance mode, bug and compatibility fixes but not really much in the way of new or improved features.

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I've been able to test Notebook on an M1 Mac, running under Rosetta with Big Sur 11.4. It sort-of runs, but not in any useful way. The main problem is that the text in outline items turns invisible when not editing the cell. So you can't even read existing notebooks, nevermind work on them.

Some other problems have been described on earlier post-Sierra systems, like crashes due to attachments, opening certain inspectors, or simply clicking on the Window menu, and newer problems with Big Sur like text missing from page tabs. I'm guessing that the problems are with changes to various system libraries etc., and not so much to do with running on the M1. However, on an Intel Mac you can run Notebook on a virtual machine running Sierra, using Parallels or Fusion. That's not possible with Apple Silicon chips like the M1, and I doubt it ever will be.

Seems like this is truly the end of the line for Notebook. It was a good run...

Ps, As of October 2021 I can confirm that the same thing happens on the new macOS 12.01 Monterey: text becomes invisible when not editing the cell, so you can't read your documents.

Last edited:

Teddybear093

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2018
Brooklyn, New York
I know that’s it’s been a long time since anyone posted here but I’m curious how many are still dragging along with CPN or if in the plethora of the Mac App Store there is finally something that compares with this older software. I’m still dragging CPN on one iMac and I’m long overdue to move on.

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
What I posted here https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...otebook-works-in-mojave.2122123/post-28511355 in 2020 still applies. NoteTaker 4 has the same roots as CPN and is the closest substitute. However I've gone with the more OneNote-like Growly Notes (which is free). As nothing will import CPN notebooks, I exported all of my old ones in both the HTML and PDF formats for archival purposes. Lots of people like Curio. It's a 21st century take on the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.