Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
I have noticed when I’m listening to any audio whether it’s from safari, the music app or another app entirely, then open up the Amazon app, the audio momentarily cuts out. When the audio returns the quality is reduced. When I’m in my car with my iPhone connected via lightning, the same thing happens and I can confirm the audio returns via bluetooth rather then through the lightning cable. In either case once I close the Amazon app the audio cuts out again and returns to normal quality.

I’m going out on a limb here but this behavior is not normal and I get the feeling the Amazon app is processing whatever I’m listening to in real time. Any constructive thoughts?

Last edited:

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
Does it show that it’s accessing your microphone? Try turning that access off if so and see if the behavior changes.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Does it show that it’s accessing your microphone? Try turning that access off if so and see if the behavior changes.
It doesn’t show the microphone is being activated nor does the app have permissions. I’d love to believe apples indication is 100% effective but with knowing what’s possible with software and tracking, it is not 100% effective. Also it’s possible the phone is recording internally without using the mic. I know no one can prove this one way or another but I thought I’d bring it up to see if anyone else has this audio behavior with the scenario.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
This is also happening for me and I’ve disabled microphone/camera access and all Siri and Search options but it still persists.

Is Amazon bypassing access to the camera/microphone? It feels really shady.

Reactions: upandown
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.