Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I still prefer iBooks as my premium reading option. It's a better option and reading experience. And nobody wants to pay another monthly subscription to read books.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Less valuable as in production cost, not entertainment value. I've never heard of a book that cost over a million dollars to write.

Hillary Clinton received an advance payment of $14 million for her (underwhelming) new book. She gets to keep all the money; the publisher only gets their money back if the book sells very well (which it hasn't been doing). Further, they spent money promoting it. This means that the book cost well over "a million dollars" to write.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I still prefer iBooks as my premium reading option. It's a better option and reading experience. And nobody wants to pay another monthly subscription to read books.

So what if You one day decide that you no longer want to use an Apple device, switch to the next big thing... What happens to your books? Gone forever.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
2 comments.

on the plus side... while yes, the library is free, just one book weighs more than a kindle and a kindle can, with this service, carry 600,000 books. plus i don't have a public library within 5 miles of my home. which is sad!! and the closest one is very tiny so it may not have some, or a lot, of the books i wanna read.

on the negative side... if you have even a tiny bit of internet prowess you can find all the e-books and audiobook you cold ever wanna read, in every format, for free.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I think this is a pretty decent offering if their catalog of books includes authors you like. The subscription service would pay for itself if you read 2+ books per month. Just curious about what authors included. I saw someone say Lee Child books are not included, which sucks because I'm trying to blast through the Jack Reacher series. I do want to read George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series, so this would definitely save me some money.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Let's see... No Brad Thor... No Vince Flynn... No Lee Child... No Gillian Flynn...No Michael Crichton... No Tom Clancy... and for the sake of my wife, no Jodi Picoult.

Sure I have a pretty limited scope of authors I enjoy (and unfortunately, some have passed on) but seriously, these are some pretty big omissions. Hopefully Amazon can secure deals with all the big publishers. This kinda feels like the same service my local library offers for eReaders. They say they offer a TON of books, but most of them are from lesser known authors, which is great for some, but not for someone like me who has a limited range.

Kindle Unlimited is like Netflix, not Spotify.

Netflix has limited selections (lot of holdouts).
Spotify has 99.9% selections (very few holdouts).

Amazon listed 600,000 ebooks for Kindle Unlimited.

There are about 3,000,000 ebooks.

so that's 20%

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
So what if You one day decide that you no longer want to use an Apple device, switch to the next big thing... What happens to your books? Gone forever.

Therefore we should discourage people to switch from Windows to Mac. You know, they will lose all the things they paid for.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
WOW!!! i never really noticed the member since thing tip now. i've been a member since 2003. i think i'm one of the longest members on here!! i don't see any older dates on this thread.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
It won't be long until Google and Apple join in the ebook subscription game.

Both Google and Apple both joined in the music subscription game with Google Play All Access Music and Beats Music.

Will be fun....

could apps be next?

Unlimited apps download for $9.99 a month?

We got music, movies/tv, now books....

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Here in the UK many smaller libraries are closing as no one ever uses them.

They are boring and the stats prove it.

I'm not in the UK. Where I live, no library has closed, and the parking lots are always full. That's proof that the library is not boring, and the stats prove it.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Here in the UK many smaller libraries are closing as no one ever uses them.

They are boring and the stats prove it.

Dunno. At the library I work for I see children playing, reading, having fun.
I see kids programs. Next week we bring them to the Police training academy, the aquarium, the planetarium, Legoland... for free.
I see teens reading their mangas, and YA books. I see teens using our Mac Pro or our iMacs.
I see adults using our computers to watch their favorite online video, play videogames, attend our free courses or read their favorite book.

blastair

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Has anyone been able to figure out how much this service overlaps with the Kindle Lending Library? That supposedly features 500,000 books, including Harry Potter, so I'm wondering if it's pretty much the same. But none of the articles I've been able to find so far has even acknowledged the Lending Library.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Who wants to go to a library? Who has time?

Convenience for the win! And Amazon knows this.

Lots of people have time. I pass a library 2-3 times per week and I'm typically in and out of there in 15 minutes or less...often less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.