Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Amazon has irritated me on more than a few occasions and having happily built up my library on iTunes I’m enjoying the Apple TV.

But viewing Amazon’s “the man in the high castle” UHD on my Apple TV 4k I’m still getting 2.1 / stereo sound.

Is this right? I thought they fixed this in March. UHD & HDR with 2.1 sound is ridiculous.

davcole

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2017
Prime app is a joke! Hopefully some changes with announcement of TVos 12 and a new app!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
We noticed this as well with Justified? and a few other shows we were watching on Amazon Prime. It's frustrating. I've always had inferior sound with Amazon Prime shows on Roku and Apple TV. :/

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Terrible. I’m astounded they have let this go on for so long. I thought it was an issue with my setup.

Thanks for confirming

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
It's a mix of 5.1 and stereo, with pretty much anything new or an Amazon original being in stereo.

I have a bit of a theory about the cause of this. Take for example the new Jack Ryan drama. It's in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos on other platforms, but on the ATV it's in poorly converted washed out looking HDR10 with stereo audio. Amazon are clearly converting the DV source (and breaking it in the process), but the Atmos is simply being thrown away and a fall back stereo track is substituted.

Perhaps if Amazon ever update their awful ATV app to support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos then these issues will magically go away. Until then, use the Amazon app built into your TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.