Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
Hello ,

i noticed that on a fairly recent MacMini 2012 with HDMI and MiniDP Outputs i could not stream
Movies on Amazon Prime Video in HD Quality.

The Problem seems related to the fact that the Mini uses and external monitor, and somehow this inhibits the HD Streaming on Amazon Prime, atleast for Movies (Documentaries and Series seem to stream fine).

To my knowledge the whole link-chain is HDCP Compliant, and i am using the latest Browser that should support the HTML5 Streaming (Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari).

I am wondering if this problem is related to my setup (maybe bad cable?) or if someone else has had the same experience.
I am using a HDMI to DVI cable, but also with a HDMI to HDMI cable (when connected to a TV-set) produces the same result: Movies would stream only in SD, not in HD.

On a Mac with an "internal" Display, like an Imac, no such problem would occur. Even on earlier Mac OS X like Mavericks, with latest Firefox, one could stream Amazon Prime Movie in HD.

I§d be interested to know how the newer Mac like MacMini 2018 or 2014 or Mac Pro handle the Amazon Prime Video Service.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Are you saying that Amazon Prime is not giving you the option to stream in HD on the Mac Mini for Movies but you can get the HD option to happen with Amazon Documentaries and Series?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.