Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
I just noticed the ambient sensor on my MBA seems to work backwards.

When it detects light, the keys light up.

But in pitch black, the key lights turn off.

Anyone else have this issue?

Kinetic

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
NC
I just noticed the ambient sensor on my MBA seems to work backwards.

When it detects light, the keys light up.

But in pitch black, the key lights turn off.

Anyone else have this issue?

Yeah, this is pretty common if you check Apple's support site (and I think around here). Mine does the same thing. It's pretty annoying considered I paid so much but I've learned to live with it. It'll get fixed eventually. In the meantime, I just manually adjust it to make it come on. (That's fun to try and do in a completely dark room :) )

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
LORTNOC YTILAUQ (That's how they test the machines lately - BACKWARDS).

wordy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Toronto
I have the same "problem" with the keyboard backlight, but just wanted to clarify, the screen is supposed to dim in low light conditions - opposite of the keyboard backlight.

It's shocking how many ppl on the apple forums don't seem to realize F5/F6 will solve the problem until apple posts a fix (which they claim to be working on).

mactoday

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Moscow, Russia
I have the same "problem" with the keyboard backlight, but just wanted to clarify, the screen is supposed to dim in low light conditions - opposite of the keyboard backlight.

It's shocking how many ppl on the apple forums don't seem to realize F5/F6 will solve the problem until apple posts a fix (which they claim to be working on).
You know what? It's 2009 and Apple didn't fix this issue on their notebooks line! I have MacBookPro5,1 unibody 2.53Ghz revision A, and it's still have this backwards ambient light sensor issue and they have no solution. I have try to run Snow Leo GM and now back to 10.5.8 because they didn't solve the problem and looks like it's not a software problem.

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
If everyone has the same "problem", maybe it is because the keyboard was DESIGNED this way?
The macbook is designed for the optimal user comfort, and I believe the ambient light sensor was coded to adapt to the ambient condition. The keyboard backlight, like the screen brightness, dims in a very-low-light environment, because it is the most comfortable to the eyes. In only moderately low-light condition, keyboard/screen brightness is turned up because the illumination will not be hard on the eyes (user's perception).
Very-Low light: Keyboard and Screen are dimmed
Moderately low light: keyboard is illuminated but turned up
Ample light: Keyboard illumination is turned off
However I'd be suspicious if your keyboard backlight turns completely off in pitch blackness.

BTW your iphone has the exact same behavior. You'll understand why if you try typing a text message in a movie theater with the auto-brightness disabled.

faxao

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Milano, Italy
Maybe I am one of the few lucky ones....

but on my MBA Rev.B if I cover with my hand the top screen light sensor the screen will dim and the keyboard will light up.....this is how it is supposed to be working isn't it ? :) :apple:

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Mine isn't backwards?

When it gets dark, the screen darkens and the keyboard lights up to a 1/4 level. When ambient light increases, the keyboard light also increases along with the screen until a certain amount where the keyboard light shuts off and screen goes to 3/4 - full brightness.

heywoodja

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
Milpitas, Ca USA
I hate it when people do this:

BTW your iphone has the exact same behavior. You'll understand why if you try typing a text message in a movie theater with the auto-brightness disabled.[/QUOTE]

So you are the type of person who text messages while in a movie theater? I hate it when people near me take out their phones and start texting. The screens are so bright, you might as well ring in a flashlight to annoy the s**t out of me. I am really just making a point and I am not bashing you. But to all of you other f**ks out there who texts while in a dark movie theater, I would rather you talk quietly into your phone then to light up your my section of the theater...

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
cover the light sensor and turn the kb brightness all the way up. that will fix it. don't mess with it after that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.